Hey! General care questions about three toed box.

Cream

Location (City and/or State)
USA
My three toed box named bento!
I have a lot of questions, so I hope it's ok I post em all in one big thread

1) (important) the very top up of my turtles bottom beak fell off today. I can provide pics if needed. There was a very very small amount of blood but I'm still worried. Immediately after I removed the loose carapace she started eating- which shocked me (see number 2)

2) she hadn't been eating for around 3 days beforehand, and I couldn't figure out why. I tried everything- adding warm water, chopped up carrots and apples, layering it different, (her diet is mostly mealworms and pellets) so was it safe to assume the removed beak peice jaw was the problem? Maybe it was getting in the way of her eating..

3) today, I bought her some love crickets to try and eat. She won't touch them. There's around 20 of them in her enclosure right now. Lol what do I do! It's honestly grossing the heck out of me

4) kinda a weird question, but what should her poop be looking? I adopted her from a VERY neglectful home of 20 years last June- vet told me she had something called MLD? Some acronym like that, a devolpments like disorder, so she really isn't all that healthy. I want to know what it should normally look like. Poor dear barely had a tail, a deformed shell, and like 6 shots of rehealed shell rot :( I really just want to pamper her now, she's had a rough life.

5) how can I get her to eat veggies! Her previous (cough abusive cough) owners told me her diet was 100% pellet, but I've gotten her to eat mealworms fine now and certain types of fruit. She will not even nibble at vegetables though! I've tried carrot, celery and mixed greens-even tried mincing them down and mixed in with her normal food, but she still won't budge. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post! I just want to be certain she's getting the best care. Thank you!

Also.. I'll probably think of more I needed to ask along the road, bear with me

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The beak was probably overgrown (without having seen a picture, I'm just guessing), and it broke off. Allowing an overgrown beak to break off by itself causes it to break off too much, sort of like you breaking a fingernail down past the quick. Now that it has broken off the turtle can eat more comfortably, hence it starts eating again.

We have a good care sheet pinned at the top of our box turtle section.

Cream

USA
Thank you for the prompt reply! I figured that was the case, based on other stories id read online.

I did read the care sheet- it was pretty helpful! The scenarios I'm having problems with are a bit too specific to be listed in them , unfortunately.

Also! I thought of another question I need help with, lol

After soaking, i notice substrate (I use coconut fiber) sticks all over her body. Sides of her shell, but mostly her face. Even her eyes. I've watched her use her arm to brush the sides of her face in what I think is an attempt to get the dirt off. I'm not sure if I'm describing this well..
Basically, is there anything I can do for wet substrate getting in her eyes/face? It doesn't look fun.

Cream

USA
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't aware of that.
I'm assuming they don't seek freeze dried earth worms, and she's having trouble eating live food, it seems..
I will see what I can do! I appreciate the info

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Turtles with beak problems from mbd do have trouble eating earthworms. But colleen is right, they are the best to feed. For my mbd turtle I cut them in smaller pieces. Phoenix worms were easier for mine to eat and they are very good for them as well. You can order them online.

Please dont leave loose crickets (or mealworms) in the enclosure. Earthworms are ok to leave.