Hey guys, critique my set up ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
yeah for sure i could get topsoil. would you recommend using a bit of both?
I use both. Few inches of topsoil (as long as it has no additives) then a layer of Cypress mulch on top. If I only could get mulch at 68 dollars a bag though it just be topsoil! Lol

brenden

5 Year Member
I use both. Few inches of topsoil (as long as it has no additives) then a layer of Cypress mulch on top. If I only could get mulch at 68 dollars a bag though it just be topsoil! Lol
hahah right?!! okay ill add sometop soil and then 2 bags of the mulch. do you grow anything in the soil? i was thinking about putting grass in there

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
hahah right?!! okay ill add sometop soil and then 2 bags of the mulch. do you grow anything in the soil? i was thinking about putting grass in there
I've got Grass, Chia, and Pothos growing in my hatchling enclosure.IMG_20190412_170723382.jpg

Relic

Here
Whew, glad I don't live in Alberta. I have a weird yard with no grass, just ground cover, shrubs, trees, perennial flowers, rocks, etc. And the whole thing - front and back - blanketed in cypress mulch. I have to re-cover the yard every 3-4 years as the old decomposes. Usually takes 700-800 bags...and a lot of work. If it was more than $3 a bag, I'd have to reconsider the whole thing...

kdawg81

5 Year Member
I lined mine with a tarp as well and then quickly learned that my redfoot can climb tarps..... so I'd keep an eye on that. I had to line mine with coroplast instead.

kdawg81

5 Year Member

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I wish I had more time to give more detail - but right off the bat you need about 4 inches of substrate because they like to dig. At least mine does. You'll get some excellent advice in this forum.

Yes, more substrate. I have a Sulcata and use orchid bark, fine soil. I have 2 1/2 in and my baby sully loves to dig and burrow. Also when you have soil you can plant right in the soil. I love seeing how people design their cages.

brenden

5 Year Member
Make sure you check the care sheets in the forum. Tomatoes and mushrooms are not the best for your tort. There are plenty of feeding guides to help. You can check out https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ for more help. There you will find what plants are best for your tort's diet.
thank you. yeah i try and feed him a big list of different foods. tomatoes and mushrooms are pretty rare i just had some left over in my fridge from dinner haha.

Relic

Here
This is what my Home Depot had. Anyone try it? Says no pesticides and couldn’t not find anything other than ingredients being Cypress
I would honestly be surprised if there is ANY type of treatment on the mulch. It's basically plain old bark stripped off of freshly harvested trees (in this case cypress trees), and is just a by-product of the timber industry. Hardly seems economical to do anymore than just bag it and sell it.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I would honestly be surprised if there is ANY type of treatment on the mulch. It's basically plain old bark stripped off of freshly harvested trees (in this case cypress trees), and is just a by-product of the timber industry. Hardly seems economical to do anymore than just bag it and sell it.

Makes sense. I am going to save it for the outdoor projects.

KS Ruby RF Slippers

Lafayette Indiana
keep a few things in mind.
-i just finished setting it up, so it looks a little dry, but hopefully in a little bit it will be in the 70-80% range.
-The light i am using is from RONA and it is low watt and has all the light spectrum as i'm trying to grow real plants in there. when the plants are more mature it should provide more shaded areas outside his huts. Tomorrow i am going to grab some window screen and use that under the light so its not so bright. The plants that i am trying out are sweet potato vines.
-I have gotten rid a few clutter items in there so the substate is a little laking, i have another bag of cyprus mulch on order.
-The che light is 250 W and i am playing around with its distance from the floor to make sure its not to hot not to cold, might just get a sensor if its an issue but for now i think ill try without. i have a temperature gun and am actively monitoring the temperatures all around the enclosure to make sure they are good.
So yeah, any criticism are welcome or ideas for the future. i have had him for a few years and have been constantly trying to get his living arrangement as close to perfect as i can. so any and all advice is appreciated :)
Also, should i add something to the inside of his huts, like moss or anything, so he can burrow himself more? hes always scratching at the backs of them like he is trying to dig it sounds like.

View attachment 270200 View attachment 270201 View attachment 270202 View attachment 270203 View attachment 270204

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I have been spending a ton on cypress mulch for my Russians (Zoo Med Forest Floor) only because I was afraid that the home depot stuff would contain some sort of chemicals or additives. Is it guaranteed clean? I would love a cheaper option as their indoor table is massive and takes a a lot to cover. Thanks in advance!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have been spending a ton on cypress mulch for my Russians (Zoo Med Forest Floor) only because I was afraid that the home depot stuff would contain some sort of chemicals or additives. Is it guaranteed clean? I would love a cheaper option as their indoor table is massive and takes a a lot to cover. Thanks in advance!
I use the home Depot stuff and never had any issues.

Russiantortylady

Vermont
This is what my Home Depot had. Anyone try it? Says no pesticides and couldn’t not find anything other than ingredients being Cypress
What does this cost for a bag of it?? This looks like Chitty(my male) would like this!! The cost of the Repto-bark is ridiculous!!!

Weebbles one

Joliet IL
What does this cost for a bag of it?? This looks like Chitty(my male) would like this!! The cost of the Repto-bark is ridiculous!!!
Any “big store carries cypress like that I’m in Chicago suburbs and get it at Menards. Lowe’s also carries it as well all for right around 3 bucks a bag. At end of season I usually get it for 5 for $10 and keep it in my garage. I use it for all 35 of my snakes also with no health issues

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do the same.
Outdoors cypress mulch on top of soil.
Indoors Orchid bark on top of soil.