Hey guys!

Rachel337

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada.
Hey there, my name is Rachel and I'm from Alberta, Canada. I recently got a 3 year old Red foot tortoise after wanting one for years! Her name is Scout and I'm in love with her! She seems to be doing very well but I just wanted to double check with other tortoise moms and dads to make sure I'm not making any mistakes, so any help would be greatly appreciated by me and my Scout. Right now she lives in a 2ft by 4ft plastic enclosure, it has plexi glass over the warm side to hold humidity in better as well. This is what she came with but I'm moving soon so I would like to build her something larger so if anyone has any tips on building tortoise tables please let me know! I feed her a mix of baby greens everyday and alternate days of giving her a bit of fruit or veg. Some things I'm unsure of is how often to feed her? She usually eats all or most of the food that I give her so I don't want her to be hungry but I also don't want to over feed her, do you guys feed yours daily? Also for her supplements, she has a calcium and another supplement mix with vitamins and minerals, her previous owner said she gave the supplements to her once a week but I've also read to give them calcium with every meal but other places say not to give it everyday. She also has a cuttle bone to chew on in her enclosure. Another thing is the protein, her previous owner was feeding her cat foot twice a month but I just don't feel like she should be eating cat food since she isn't a cat... I gave her a hard boiled egg but she didn't really like that so I gave her some boiled chicken and she ate that really well. How much protein should I be giving her and how often? I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future and I need to explore the forum more as well so sorry if these questions are already answered somewhere! If anyone has any tips please let me know, Thank you so much -Rachel and Scout

Rue

Canada
Pictures of your set-up and the tortoise itself would be great too!

Sometimes a picture paints a thousand words...;)

I don't have a redfoot, I have a Hermann's, so I won't offer any advice! But lots of people on this forum have them! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachel, and welcome to the Forum!

I buy Purina Pro Plan dry cat food and occasionally I wet a handful of that for the RF tortoises. Otherwise they get hard boiled egg with the shell, cooked chicken, tuna - I give animal protein like this once a week.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Rachel welcome to you and Scout! You may find a caresheet if you do a search and the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you right any wrongs. The Enclosures thread also has some great ideas, so read search and ask as many questions as you like someone will soon be along to help.