Hey! How are you? Do tortoises see highness?

GrassiFranklin

Location (City and/or State)
México City
I've been researching because a friend told me they don't see when they are about to fall from a cliff
And I've found that they see vertically and horizontally
But it says that they don't see deepness
So my question is
Do they see when they are about to fall?
Because if they see vertically it makes sense, but if they don't see deepness it's complicated, do you know?
Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises seem to have better depth perception than others. I've seen tortoises walk right off the coping of a built in pool and fall a foot or so down into the pool.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I have seen them take a dive too as well as box turtles, but my Cuora Mouhotii sees depth and does not go over the edge. He is a terrestrial turtle from Asia. His natural habitat is rocky and woodland so it makes sense that he has to see depth.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Redfoot definitely recognises height. When I used to clean his enclosure when he was younger I would let him walk around on my bed. He would walk to the edge and look over then turn around or walk along the edge. He never once went off.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
I put my Duckster on a glass coffee table and I could clearly see that he was scared and confused.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have seen my leo climb on top of his hide and look off the ledge, then turn around to follow the edges of it to find his mulch ramp.

KronksMom

Illinois
Kronk hangs out on the couch with us regularly. He likes to hang out at the edges and "survey his land." He also very much enjoys climbing up something (my chest, my knees, the back of the couch if we're leaning back, etc), turning around and then pushing himself off. He pulls one front foot in and leaves one front foot out a little bit to push himself faster if he slows down at all on his decent. His back feet he uses like little rudders. He is a Russian tortoise and I think maybe his name should have been Sonic. Gotta Go Fast seems to be his motto.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There's a lot of instinct there. But not a whole lot of actual intelligence.
I'm sure all of mine would walk right into a pool.
It's up to us to eliminate most of those risks.