Hey! Owner of Sulcata Tortoise

Brianna Fox

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Florida
Hey,

I'm new to the whole tortoise scene, but I do own a Sulcata, I've had her for a month now, she was given to me by my neighbors, who didn't want her anymore, at the time I knew nothing about sulcatas, I know a lot more now but still trying to learn more to make sure my tortoise is happy and healthy, as I'm typing right now my sulcata is running around my room :p My tortoise's name is Miss T, I'd love to find her a companion to help her with her shyness. She is somewhat healthy, i'm trying to get her back on track, she was given to me unhealthy, with large triangles on her shell and a bit broken off from a dog wound, now the triangles have gone down, she's way more active, and has a normal behavior, I'm still trying to heal the dog bite, it's gotten a lot better but it hasn't fully gone back. If someone could please help me with healing her wound, like what I could do to make it better that would be great :)))))

Thank you ,
Brianna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brianna, and welcome to the Forum!

As soon as you can, make her an outside enclosure. Running around your room on the floor is not a good thing. I've seen X-Rays of tortoises with bits of electrical cord, plastic army men, gobs of dust, etc. The Triangles, as you call them, are what we refer to as pyramiding. This happens when a BABY is raised in too dry conditions. Since they hatch out in the monsoon season, when it's wet and green, baby sulcatas have evolved to need this warmth and humidity to help their shells grow smoothly. There's nothing you can do about it now. It's set in stone. Likewise the dog bite. The shell won't regrow from that. An open wound will heal, but the shell will always have that scar.

Tortoises are solitary animals. They neither want nor need companionship of another tortoise. In fact, once your tortoise gets used to her new outside enclosure, she'll fight off any other tortoise you try to put in there.

I would appreciate seeing pictures of Miss T (My dog's name is Misty).

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum and thank you for helping this tortoise.

Please seriously consider the advice Yvonne has given. Your baby needs humidity and a safe enclosure to be healthy and secure. It does not need a friend!

We are glad you’re here!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome! You've come to the right place, yes please post some photos whenever you can. How old is your new family member?