Hey there I’m looking for some advice

Wazzafox84

Location (City and/or State)
Peterborough United Kingdom
Hey there I have a Herman tortoise ? his a very happy & healthy tortoise full of character but this morning I noticed his tip of his tail is coming off?! But his happy & eating like normal?! Can anyone help me with what’s going on?!
many thanks ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Add a pic of the tail and enclosure. Give a run down of the care, temps, humidity, diet, equipment, etc.

Wazzafox84

Add a pic of the tail and enclosure. Give a run down of the care, temps, humidity, diet, equipment, etc.
This is his enclosure and a close up of his tail it’s the tip of it?! He has a hide where he sleeps at night. He eats a very good balance diet of fresh lettuce he can eat and we give him fruit as a treat once a month. His temps are as they should between 28 & 32 degrees in the lighted area! Do u think it’s something we have done?! Or not done. His bathed once a week

Attachments

• 28A40121-3A60-42FD-9CF3-8EC47103D059.jpeg
    28A40121-3A60-42FD-9CF3-8EC47103D059.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
  • F324EB6A-AE92-44F9-BBFC-2ED8EB3EAC33.jpeg
    F324EB6A-AE92-44F9-BBFC-2ED8EB3EAC33.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 79

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hermanns should not eat fruit and just lettuce is not a good balanced diet.
If that is sand in the enclosure, it should be replaced. Sand causes impaction. Use coconut coir or orchid bark.
Read thru this Thread 'Sticky: HERMANN'S TORTOISE CARE SHEET *UPDATED' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
And this for diet items. Dark Broad leafy greens and weeds for a hermanns.
Thread 'Check out this great list' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/check-out-this-great-list.86291/
Try to see if there is a piece of long hair or something wrapped around the tail. Looks like something is cutting off the blood supply.

Wazzafox84

If that is sand in the enclosure, it should be replaced. Sand causes impaction. Use coconut coir or orchid bark.
Read thru this Thread 'Sticky: HERMANN'S TORTOISE CARE SHEET *UPDATED' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
Thread 'Check out this great list' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/check-out-this-great-list.86291/
Try to see if there is a piece of long hair or something wrapped around the tail. Looks like something is cutting off the blood supply.
We have a care sheet for him which we follow it gives his things he can & can’t eat this is what we follow are they right. His substrate is a mixture of soil and sand and little stones we get from the pet shop! There is nothing on his tail just a little bit holding it together. We have followed everything the pet shop advised.

Attachments

• 75091679-6635-4772-BFD3-C34F371DE02B.jpeg
    75091679-6635-4772-BFD3-C34F371DE02B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • AF74A141-7151-4AE4-AE4C-75DE509AC928.jpeg
    AF74A141-7151-4AE4-AE4C-75DE509AC928.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • DF880DFD-E569-43E6-91E9-95DF4CA9DC67.jpeg
    DF880DFD-E569-43E6-91E9-95DF4CA9DC67.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27

Wazzafox84

Thank you for the food list. We will most definitely be trying them out for him. I’ve looked on his tail but nothing is on it. Is it normal for it to fall off or shred?!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have a care sheet for him which we follow it gives his things he can & can’t eat this is what we follow are they right. His substrate is a mixture of soil and sand and little stones we get from the pet shop! There is nothing on his tail just a little bit holding it together. We have followed everything the pet shop advised.
Don't follow what a pet store says. They know nothing usually and are out to sell to make money. Most of the stuff they sell is useless.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only have a phone I do the forum with. I can't read the list. If it says fruit is okay to feed then it's not a good food list.
Stick to the care and info on this forum. Many years of experience and trial and error. Plus we aren't trying to sell anything. We just do this out of love of tortoises.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Pet shops are in the business of making money, not giving decent advice...We have very experienced tort keepers and breeders. You asked for our help...so please don't argue about it. Fruit is bad for Hermanni as their kidneys cannot process sugar like ours does. Sand in substrate can cause impaction in captive tortoises, bad news. Simply take what advice your tort needs and leave the rest. His enclosure and temps and humidity, and diet are all off...according to our experience.

Wazzafox84

Pet shops are in the business of making money, not giving decent advice...We have very experienced tort keepers and breeders. You asked for our help...so please don't argue about it. Fruit is bad for Hermanni as their kidneys cannot process sugar like ours does. Sand in substrate can cause impaction in captive tortoises, bad news. Simply take what advice your tort needs and leave the rest. His enclosure and temps and humidity, and diet are all off...according to our experience.
I’m not arguing I’m sorry it if comes across like that! I’m here for help and appreciate all I’ve been told! Please help and say what I need to do

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I’m not arguing I’m sorry it if comes across like that! I’m here for help and appreciate all I’ve been told! Please help and say what I need to do
I am kind of a bottom line person, and my fingers hurt to type so sometimes my written word comes across wrong. I just want you to pay attention to to our advice and the experience that our keepers and breeders have had through the years. Sometimes I get afraid that somebody is going to read our stuff and then go to another Sulcata site and get confused at the different advice. I've been here since 2008 and our advice basically is very good and in depth. It's good to stick here... it's good to ask questions and welcome and I'm sorry that sounded a little brusque

Wazzafox84

Of
I am kind of a bottom line person, and my fingers hurt to type so sometimes my written word comes across wrong. I just want you to pay attention to to our advice and the experience that our keepers and breeders have had through the years. Sometimes I get afraid that somebody is going to read our stuff and then go to another Sulcata site and get confused at the different advice. I've been here since 2008 and our advice basically is very good and in depth. It's good to stick here... it's good to ask questions and welcome and I'm sorry that sounded a little brusque
course and that’s why I’m here! We want to give him the best possible care!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The substrate you are using is dangerous. It is commonly sold in every pet shop in the UK. Adding bits of limestone to a soil, sand mix is potentially deadly. The tortoise will naturally eat the limestone bits and they will be ingesting sand with it. This can cause a fatal impaction. Soil and sand should not be used for tortoise substrate, and doing anything to encourage a tortoise to eat any substrate is pure lunacy.

Here is the current and correct care info for you:

I don't have an answer about the tail. My best guess is that it is being caused by the dry desiccating effects of the enclosure he's in.

Wazzafox84

The substrate you are using is dangerous. It is commonly sold in every pet shop in the UK. Adding bits of limestone to a soil, sand mix is potentially deadly. The tortoise will naturally eat the limestone bits and they will be ingesting sand with it. This can cause a fatal impaction. Soil and sand should not be used for tortoise substrate, and doing anything to encourage a tortoise to eat any substrate is pure lunacy.

Here is the current and correct care info for you:

I don't have an answer about the tail. My best guess is that it is being caused by the dry desiccating effects of the enclosure he's in.
What do you mean?! Can you please explain to me what you mean

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use fir bark because you can moisten it, and the top layer dries out so he's not sitting on moist substrate. But if he digs down it's moist. A larger enclosure so that you have room to add a few potted plants helps with humidity too, as well as sight barriers so he doesn't feel so exposed.