hi! a re-introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

justnoskill

5 Year Member
Hi all, I haven't been here in quite some time, since I got my redfoot. I got lots of info for her care, and I've had her for about a year now so I thought I would update and also have a few new questions as well.

She has grown a bit in the year that I've had her, and much heavier :p

But I do have a question regarding her diet and health. Her shell was a bit lumpy when I got her, but not very extreme. Is it considered pyramiding if their shells aren't totally smooth? or is it normal for little bumps, not like high ones? I ask this because her shell is continuing to grow in this pattern, from what I can tell, but overall her back is still round (not like the extreme pictures you can find online of pyramiding where there are dips in their backs and stuff)

Her daily diet usually consists of romaine lettuce, kale, bell pepper, mushroom, and usually a strawberry or some other fruit. I do not add calcium powder to her food, but provide a cuttlebone that she occasionally munches on. Does this sound good? I am open to suggestions.

She has a long tube-type uv light, and a spot lamp for basking.

thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes she has pyramiding. If you are raising her correctly, the new growth should be growing in smooth and as she gets older the pyramiding should look lessened. An updated pic would be nice:D

justnoskill

5 Year Member
awww =( my poor little girl! I hope her new growth looks good (honestly I can't tell...I think I'm a little paranoid that I'm not doing a good job of raising her)

So here are some pictures from, well right now. She looked so mad that I didn't take her out....she's got attitude I swear!

DSCN1655.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

DSCN1659.jpg

you can kinda tell where she has grown since I got her is darker. I hope that's good!! thank you

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
She is pyramiding. Does she have a humid hide (I suggest filling it with moist sphagnum moss) and a wading pool/soaking pool. I would also suggest misting the enclosure once or twice a day. She also probably doesn't need the basking light. Diet sounds ok though I substitute collards for the romain and kale if possible. ,I would also introduce some animal protein such as quality dog or cat food into the diet.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
I haven't had my own red foot very long, but I would suggest a little more variety. Hibiscus leaves, collard greens, spring mix, dandelion greens, etc. My red foot is especially fond of squash/zuke flowers and my cherry head just realized they are tasty. I haven't tried other safe flowers yet since my plants haven't flowered yet. I have shared my mango with them too, but they got messy. :) I haven't experimented with other fruits yet, but I plan to buy some for myself and share them with my torts.

I second making sure you have good humidity. Even a soak here and there should be good. My young ones get a warm water soak a few times a week.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
justnoskill said:
awww =( my poor little girl! I hope her new growth looks good (honestly I can't tell...I think I'm a little paranoid that I'm not doing a good job of raising her)

So here are some pictures from, well right now. She looked so mad that I didn't take her out....she's got attitude I swear!

DSCN1655.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

DSCN1659.jpg

you can kinda tell where she has grown since I got her is darker. I hope that's good!! thank you

From what I can see the substrate should be thicker and should be sphagnum moss and u can cover the top to keep humidity in. Misting everyday as much as you can. Substrate could be 2 or 3 inches to hold moisture better:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. Relax. A little pyramiding is pretty common, and not a significant health issue in red-footed tortoises. While a perfectly smooth shell is the goal, some pyramiding can happen even with good care.

2. We don't KNOW what causes pyramiding in the sense that we can say it is always THIS, and you do THIS to prevent it. It is some combination of events that cause the various layers of the shell to not grow in perfect synchronization. Certainly increased humidity helps.

3. The diet is OK. I would give it a C+/B-. The main improvement would be more variety- more kinds of lettuces and greens, more veggies with seeds (which are what we mean by fruits), and so on.

4. Ditto on thicker substrate. Lets it dig in, helps hold more moisture for humidity, etc. I am going to experiment with a much thicker layer (4-6") next time I rebuild the indoor habitat.

There are links and articles in the Tortoise Library in my sig below that may help.

justnoskill

5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions. She does have a large wading dish that she sits in, I also mist the sides of the glass frequently and have a piece of plexiglass over the top to hold in the humidity. I will add more substrate and work on a humid hide for her as well. I am tempted to leave the basking lamp because she sits under it often and seems to like it.

And thank you for the diet suggestions as well, I'll be looking into more variety for her

Status
Not open for further replies.