Hi! Advice needed-Red Footed Tort (and owner) need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieTheRedFootedTortoise

5 Year Member
Hi there! I am from Southern Ontario and purchased a red footed tortoise for my son last spring. We have him in a 4 foot terrarium and have been experimenting with substrate, bathing pond and feeding and temperature (any advice from those experienced owners would be welcome.

I have been using a coco husk and vitamin sand mix as the substrate and just recently added cypress bark. He has a cork hiding spot, some rocks and a small bathing pool. After adding the cypress, (a few weeks later) and I noticed small bugs beneath water dish and rocks. Some appear white and others dark brown. They run fast and seem to jump on occasion.

I have just removed my tortoise; I soaked him for 20 minutes (did not see any bugs either in the water or on him) and put him into a plastic tub with newspaper a cardboard shelter & heat lamp. Any advise as to whether newspaper is harmful would be appreciated.

I am going to remove all of his substrate and clean his terrarium with a diluted bleach and water solution. I have purchased coco husk to replace the substrate.

My local pet store suggested using Benson & Sons snake oil on the tortoise. It's ingredients include safflower oil, sweet almond oil, wheat germ oil, avocado oil, tea tree oil and Neem oil-it's suggested use is for cuts, scrapes mites bites on reptiles. Any advice as to whether any of these ingredients may be toxic to Red footed tortoise's would be welcome.

The local pet store also suggested using a mite powder but also cautioned that it is toxic if ingested. The girl suggested using it in the terrarium after removing substrate and then cleaning with diluted bleach solution. Any advice would be appreciated. Someone else suggested using vinegar to clean but I understand that acidic substances are dangerous to red footed torts-again your advice would be welcomed.

Thank-you again in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. First I have to say, most info from pet stores will be wrong. Always ask here first before using anything. The little bugs will not hurt your tort. Getting new substrate will not keep them away. The on,y method I have found to be a useful bug killers is to bake your substrate. I do mine in a 350 degree oven for an hour at the least. Since I have done that, I have not gotten those bugs. I don't know about the snake oil, however, I do know you have to be careful about putting stuff on a torts shell. Others will be able to advise better on that.

TortieTheRedFootedTortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome. First I have to say, most info from pet stores will be wrong. Always ask here first before using anything. The little bugs will not hurt your tort. Getting new substrate will not keep them away. The on,y method I have found to be a useful bug killers is to bake your substrate. I do mine in a 350 degree oven for an hour at the least. Since I have done that, I have not gotten those bugs. I don't know about the snake oil, however, I do know you have to be careful about putting stuff on a torts shell. Others will be able to advise better on that.

Thank-you for your help! Sorry for the stupid question but I figure best to clarify :) Am I correct to assume that you bake your substrate when you first get it not on a weekly/biweekly basis?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi TortieTheRedFootedTortoise, and welcome to the Forum!

When you have a moist substrate (or a potted plant in the house that you water a lot), you're going to have those little bugs. You just can't get away from it. They eat the detritus that builds up in the substrate and are not harmful to your tortoise at all. If you don't like them, you just toss that substrate out into a flower bed for mulch, and start over with fresh substrate. But eventually you will have those little pesky bugs again.

There's a bunch of good reading on the Red Footed tortoise here:

Tortoise Library

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I kinda think of those bugs as my redfoots' pets. :D

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Welcome new RF owner!! They are a blast for pets.
Did we say we love pics?? ANy and all are welcome, and we are always looking for new ideas for our ever changing enclosures!
Owning a Tort is an adventure that never ends!!
Nay

shellyandsunshine

5 Year Member
I freeze my mulch over night b4 cleaning the tank. Since I've done this I haven't had any mites. I also stick a mite repellant ( used for bird cages) on the side of my torts tank towards the bottom of the tank so it won't come In contact with my torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.