Hi all! Does my adopted Russian tort look healthy? 👋

Inspire2be

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Just got this guy yesterday. He’s in a proper setup (lighting, heat, substrate, food etc) & my son (14yr old) named him Oogway 😂🐢 He had his first taste of the outside today & we already started converting our garden to his outdoor home during the proper months 😂💚 He has a spot on his shell that I’m unsure about. He also hasnt eaten yet but we saw him eat yesterday afternoon at pickup…my son is nervous…is this normal? I told him it probably is…the poor dudes world just changed & he’s stressed/exploring! Also absolute no idea on age which sucks but we love him tremendously regardless! 💚💚 Have other reptiles but he’s our first tortoise! Wanted one for so LONG that I decided to take the leap!

Attachments

• A347479C-ADEA-4269-B849-5E8BB7A22117.jpeg
    A347479C-ADEA-4269-B849-5E8BB7A22117.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 5E05D712-2DA7-4D80-AAC9-8B9B1F2334A4.jpeg
    5E05D712-2DA7-4D80-AAC9-8B9B1F2334A4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • CB1EB46E-FAAA-4BE0-B166-D230B5ACCEA6.jpeg
    CB1EB46E-FAAA-4BE0-B166-D230B5ACCEA6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • A978BB67-19FB-4062-9D12-92FA5548BC89.jpeg
    A978BB67-19FB-4062-9D12-92FA5548BC89.jpeg
    750 KB · Views: 18

Inspire2be

New York
Just got this guy yesterday. He’s in a proper setup (lighting, heat, substrate, food etc) & my son (14yr old) named him Oogway 😂🐢 He had his first taste of the outside today & we already started converting our garden to his outdoor home during the proper months 😂💚 He has a spot on his shell that I’m unsure about. He also hasnt eaten yet but we saw him eat yesterday afternoon at pickup…my son is nervous…is this normal? I told him it probably is…the poor dudes world just changed & he’s stressed/exploring! Also absolute no idea on age which sucks but we love him tremendously regardless! 💚💚 Have other reptiles but he’s our first tortoise! Wanted one for so LONG that I decided to take the leap!
He’s eating now 😊

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise. Maybe if you can get a better picture of the shell damage an expert can help you. I'm glad he ate. A new change in environment can cause some stress and they don't eat right away. @jsheffield he has a creep of Russian tortoises and might be able to help you out. Good luck. Enjoy your tortoise. Do you have a name for him yet?

zovick

10 Year Member!
What you have is an adult male. He is probably at least 10 years old and possibly more than that.

He appears to look healthy and I see nothing abnormal in the condition of his shell for the age that he is.

Inspire2be

New York
Cute tortoise. Maybe if you can get a better picture of the shell damage an expert can help you. I'm glad he ate. A new change in environment can cause some stress and they don't eat right away. @jsheffield he has a creep of Russian tortoises and might be able to help you out. Good luck. Enjoy your tortoise. Do you have a name for him yet?
My 14yr old has named him Oogway (original…I know 😂). Thank you for your help/response ! 🐢💚

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My 14yr old has named him Oogway (original…I know 😂). Thank you for your help/response ! 🐢💚
Congratulations on getting your new and very special friend.
I think from your photos that his beak is rather overgrown. Some people on the forum recommend putting his food on a slate - then his beak gets gradually filed down over time as he eats - we take our boy to a vet, who files it with a Dremel tool. His beak isn't very clear in the photo, so I may be quite wrong about it being overgrown.
Best wishes to Oogway
Angie

Inspire2be

New York
Congratulations on getting your new and very special friend.
I think from your photos that his beak is rather overgrown. Some people on the forum recommend putting his food on a slate - then his beak gets gradually filed down over time as he eats - we take our boy to a vet, who files it with a Dremel tool. His beak isn't very clear in the photo, so I may be quite wrong about it being overgrown.
Best wishes to Oogway
Angie
If I get a better close up would you be able to tell me more? We grind our one parakeet beak weekly who has a beak deformity so we are use to doing it. But he does have a vet appt set up in a month!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Congratulations & welcome to the forum!!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
If I get a better close up would you be able to tell me more? We grind our one parakeet beak weekly who has a beak deformity so we are use to doing it. But he does have a vet appt set up in a month!
I don't think it's much-,just a bit pointed at the tip - anyway, it could wait until he sees the vet to decide.
I am sure he is going to be a happy boy,once he settles in- do you know anything about his previous home environment? Or do you think he is wild caught?
Best wishes to him and you
Angie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Great looking tort and great name!

I think he looks pretty good, but has a couple of signs of rough miles on his shell. It's probably nothing to worry about, but if it was me, the next time I gave him a soak, I'd scrub him all over his carapace and plastron with a soft toothbrush and then put on a dollop each of triple-antibiotic goo and athlete's foot cream (dollar store brand of both is fine) and rub them together all over, and into, the shell, top and bottom and especially the dings.

In my experience, if they're eating and soaking and getting the right temps and some UV, they'll be fine.

Please keep sharing pics and updates!

Jamie

Inspire2be

New York
Great looking tort and great name!

I think he looks pretty good, but has a couple of signs of rough miles on his shell. It's probably nothing to worry about, but if it was me, the next time I gave him a soak, I'd scrub him all over his carapace and plastron with a soft toothbrush and then put on a dollop each of triple-antibiotic goo and athlete's foot cream (dollar store brand of both is fine) and rub them together all over, and into, the shell, top and bottom and especially the dings.

In my experience, if they're eating and soaking and getting the right temps and some UV, they'll be fine.

Please keep sharing pics and updates!

Jamie
Thank you so much! Will definitely do that his next “bath” ! Appreciate the input on what to use!

Inspire2be

New York
I don't think it's much-,just a bit pointed at the tip - anyway, it could wait until he sees the vet to decide.
I am sure he is going to be a happy boy,once he settles in- do you know anything about his previous home environment? Or do you think he is wild caught?
Best wishes to him and you
Angie
He was dumped & I have no background whatsoever 😖 someone said the marks on his shell look like a dog tried to “play” with him or something similar 😤 ? Either way he’s loved so much & we’ll treat him right!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He was dumped & I have no background whatsoever 😖 someone said the marks on his shell look like a dog tried to “play” with him or something similar 😤 ? Either way he’s loved so much & we’ll treat him right!
I am sure you will - he is going to have a lovely life with you. I suggest that when you go to the vet you take a poo sample to him, as it is quite possible Oogway might have parasites. I hope you will keep the forum informed about his progress -it will be great to learn how he is getting on.
Angie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. I waited a long time also for my first Tortoise. Which turned out to be a Russian 🤗 Oogway is so cute and looks in pretty good health despite his setbacks in life. I'm glad you found TFO and the people here right away. They'll help you navigate all of it.