Hi all. My first tortoise (Hermanns)

bolts

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi all my name is sarah and I live in the uk and my first tortoise Stanley is an adorable Hermann around 8Months old now. I’ve wanted a tortoise from being a little girl and done so much research prior to his arrival but am still at a loss for some definitive answers [emoji848]. I hope some of you guys on here can help. First of all:- where I got my little Hermann from 7 weeks ago used to give him ‘starve days’ and recommended this. Is it good/necessary? I have a few times but he seems really desperate for food when I do [emoji53]

Melis

Maryland
Feed him!!! I haven’t seen anyone on this forum approve of starve days. Offer him enough so that there is a little bit left over. Then you’ll know how much to feed. Have you read our care sheets?

And welcome! Lol. Post pics too!

bolts

Uk
Feed him!!! I haven’t seen anyone on this forum approve of starve days. Offer him enough so that there is a little bit left over. Then you’ll know how much to feed. Have you read our care sheets?

And welcome! Lol. Post pics too!

IMG_1900.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! He is gorgeous.

No, he doesn’t need “starve” days. He might experience that in the wild but that doesn’t mean it’s good or that we should replicate it.

He looks as if he’s been kept a little dry; nothing that can’t be improved at this age but do read the care sheets; I think he may need a soaking.

If your care sheet said anything about feeding carrots, capsicum, or sweet corn; disregard it completely.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

I put enough food out DAILY so that by the end of the day there's still a little left over.

bolts

Uk
Welcome! He is gorgeous.

No, he doesn’t need “starve” days. He might experience that in the wild but that doesn’t mean it’s good or that we should replicate it.

He looks as if he’s been kept a little dry; nothing that can’t be improved at this age but do read the care sheets; I think he may need a soaking.

If your care sheet said anything about feeding carrots, capsicum, or sweet corn; disregard it completely.

I soaked him every day at first and now soak him every other day, I also give his substrate a good moistening and mix up every couple of days and empty his water dish under heat lamp daily.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
What's the substrate that you use? Based on the photo, it looks like sand. I would recommend switching to coco coir or another substrate that holds humidity and moisture fairly well.

bolts

Uk
What's the substrate that you use? Based on the photo, it looks like sand. I would recommend switching to coco coir or another substrate that holds humidity and moisture fairly well.

Hi. He has coconut coir in his bedroom bit and Komodo eco earth in the rest. I will take some photos tomorrow and put them on

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Hi. He has coconut coir in his bedroom bit and Komodo eco earth in the rest. I will take some photos tomorrow and put them on

Where are the pictures?? I’m very impatient [emoji847] [emoji217][emoji217][emoji217]beautiful tort [emoji7]

bolts

Uk
IMG_2110.jpgIMG_2109.jpgalso do people think it looks like he has pyramiding or is it normal growth lines? [emoji848]

bolts

Uk
Id say pyramiding. Try getting the humidity a little higher.

Thank you. Not what I wanted to hear ‍♀️. It is warm [emoji299]️at night every couple of nights, I’ll have to start doing it every night. He was similar maybe slightly worse when I got him [emoji53]

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to the group! I am also in the daily feeding camp. What a cutie you have