Hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunmclane

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone,
My wife and I are thinking about getting our kids a Sulcata for X-mas. We have done a lot of research and still think it is a good idea. I know they get big, live forever, and need a lot of care but what else is involved? I don't have a problem building an enclosure and am looking forward to it. We live in St. Louis so we have winters and warm summers. Just looking for information. Thanks for the help.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
Hello welcome at the top of the Sulcata page there's a thread on how to raise a Sulcata hatchling written by one of our Sulcata experts Tom please read it and you will have a better understanding

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shaun, and welcome to the Forum!!

There are a few nice posts here on the forum that you should read. Go to the Forum page and under the General Tortoise heading, click on "articles." Then look for:

Beginner Mistakes
Tortoise Basics for Prospective or Beginner Tortoise Owners
Introduction to the Tortoises

Then go back to the Forum page and scroll down to the Sulcata section. Look for these threads:

How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies.
AFRICAN SPURRED TORTOISE (SULCATA) CARE SHEET

After reading all that, if you still want to get a sulcata, this should about finish it off for you:

http://www.turtlerescues.org/sulcata_challenge.htm

Sulcatas are great tortoises. I have a 100lb'er and he's great. I just want you to understand what you're getting into.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Welcome shaunmclane,
this forum can teach you more than you thought that you didn't even know was there to know?

Best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.