Hi could do with all the help I can get with a russian baby tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
I'm just so worried he's going to starve to death? He's already so skinny :( I have read horror stories of torts dying from dehydration etc. My son named him mushroom because apparently he looks like anburtn mushroom! Ha ha! Is it possible for him to starve to death? I'm just really scared of that happening :( xx

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm just so worried he's going to starve to death? He's already so skinny :( I have read horror stories of torts dying from dehydration etc. My son named him mushroom because apparently he looks like anburtn mushroom! Ha ha! Is it possible for him to starve to death? I'm just really scared of that happening :( xx
He's not going to starve himself to death. I would bet he's still getting used to his new place. He might even be sneaking nibbles of food when your not looking.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You are doing everything you can for Mushroom. You don't have to worry about dehydration if you soak everyday. Make sure the water doesn't get cold. Here is what I do to keep water warm for about 45 minutes. I filled a sock full of rice (uncooked). I used it for aches and pains for myself. After trial and error. I found 2 1/2 min in the microwave was right for Opo's water. Keeps water warm without burning Opo underneath. 20180706_170310.jpg 20180224_185131.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You’re doing great so far! It’s actually amazing how much you got right just by guessing, lol. I’m sure he’ll thrive with you!

United kingdom
He's not going to starve himself to death. I would bet he's still getting used to his new place. He might even be sneaking nibbles of food when your not looking.
Now I am going to sound like a crazy animal lady... I have been counting how many pellets in giving him and taking photos of his greens so I will know if he's eaten. Gosh I sound like a lunatic.

You are doing everything you can for Mushroom. You don't have to worry about dehydration if you soak everyday. Make sure the water doesn't get cold. Here is what I do to keep water warm for about 45 minutes. I filled a sock full of rice (uncooked). I used it for aches and pains for myself. After trial and error. I found 2 1/2 min in the microwave was right for Opo's water. Keeps water warm without burning Opo underneath. View attachment 244227 View attachment 244228
I have been using warm water and then when it starts to cool off changing it but your idea is a much better one do you put the bath on top of the bag? It doesn't wobble off or anything?

You’re doing great so far! It’s actually amazing how much you got right just by guessing, lol. I’m sure he’ll thrive with you!
I cannot believe how lucky I got. I have been obsessed with animals since a child so I knew a little about tortoises but I knew absolutely nothing about looking after one. I have no idea how it happened. I may pick some lottery numbers later! Ha ha!

Xx

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do you have access to hibiscus flowers or dandelion? You could try those.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Now I am going to sound like a crazy animal lady... I have been counting how many pellets in giving him and taking photos of his greens so I will know if he's eaten. Gosh I sound like a lunatic.

I have been using warm water and then when it starts to cool off changing it but your idea is a much better one do you put the bath on top of the bag? It doesn't wobble off or anything?

I have a big foot so after the rice stretched it out it works fine. There is no tipping. U just filled the warm water to the right height and heated up the sock after 20 seconds I would check the bottom of the tub with my finger tips to make sure heat wasn't dissipating too hot. Finally figured out 2 1/2 min was the sweet spot. I am sure microwaves will vary.

I cannot believe how lucky I got. I have been obsessed with animals since a child so I knew a little about tortoises but I knew absolutely nothing about looking after one. I have no idea how it happened. I may pick some lottery numbers later! Ha ha!

Xx

United kingdom
I finally have a tortoise with a full belly. I bathed him as usual, today I gave his shell a little clean with a toothbrush which strangely he enjoyed! I put him back in his house changed his water gave him his fresh food and left him in peace. I've just gone up to bed and all the greens are gone. He left all the pellets which I'm actually happy with I want him off of those things and ate all the fresh food I put in!!! Xx

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I finally have a tortoise with a full belly. I bathed him as usual, today I gave his shell a little clean with a toothbrush which strangely he enjoyed! I put him back in his house changed his water gave him his fresh food and left him in peace. I've just gone up to bed and all the greens are gone. He left all the pellets which I'm actually happy with I want him off of those things and ate all the fresh food I put in!!! Xx
My RF loves getting scrubbed with the toothbrush. Glad he's settled in and eating.

United kingdom
I really appreciate you guys helping me I'd be completely lost if I hadn't joined this forum. I was so scared of posting and now I'm so glad I did. This may sound like a silly question but if he's eating now does that mean we are now friends as in he trusts me a bit? Xx

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I really appreciate you guys helping me I'd be completely lost if I hadn't joined this forum. I was so scared of posting and now I'm so glad I did. This may sound like a silly question but if he's eating now does that mean we are now friends as in he trusts me a bit? Xx

Sure, he definitely trusts you a bit, lol

United kingdom
After his rubbish start I know I'm in for a long haul when it comes to him trusting me to take care of him etc. That I understand and certainly respect but I just want him to trust me enough to eat and drink and get healthy xx

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
After his rubbish start I know I'm in for a long haul when it comes to him trusting me to take care of him etc. That I understand and certainly respect but I just want him to trust me enough to eat and drink and get healthy xx
More than likely he will start to associate you with food. It will seem like he likes you, or wants to come to you, but it's only because your the one with food. There is no real emotional connection with tortoises. Their not like cats and dogs. If I don't have food mine could care less about me.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Here comes the tough love part. Don't fall in the trap of feeding him only what he gobbles up. Try different foods that are on the list for your species. If he snubs at it at first let it sit there all day. He will eat it sooner or later. Don't let him control what he eats. After a while you will know what he truly doesn't like. I didn't do that at first and the only thing Opo would eat was romaine lettuce. Not sure about russians if they need calcium supplements maybe someone can chime in on that. If so get him on that. Maybe @TechnoCheese or @Tom can guide you on that. Anyways congrats on your first hurdle.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Basically, if there’s only one thing he’ll eat, you can take that thing and chop it up really fine and mix it into his food. When he eats it, start decreasing the amount of that food that you put in, until you stop using it at all. If that doesn’t work, tough love works too ;)

You can supplement a pinch of calcium 1-3 times a week, or just use a cuttlebone.

United kingdom
More than likely he will start to associate you with food. It will seem like he likes you, or wants to come to you, but it's only because your the one with food. There is no real emotional connection with tortoises. Their not like cats and dogs. If I don't have food mine could care less about me.
Sorry it sounds mean but that made me laugh! It was the couldn't care less about you that made me chuckle! I'm used to that I have cats they literally only care about what they want you can't even stroke them unless it's because they want you too! The cats and dogs film made the cats the evil ones for a reason ha ha!

Regarding the food part I have been giving a selection just to tempt him so I'm going to have to decide the best diet for him now. He has a cuttle fish thing is that the same as the bone or not really? I got it when I got him so I could of got the wrong thing? Xx

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sorry it sounds mean but that made me laugh! It was the couldn't care less about you that made me chuckle! I'm used to that I have cats they literally only care about what they want you can't even stroke them unless it's because they want you too! The cats and dogs film made the cats the evil ones for a reason ha ha!

Regarding the food part I have been giving a selection just to tempt him so I'm going to have to decide the best diet for him now. He has a cuttle fish thing is that the same as the bone or not really? I got it when I got him so I could of got the wrong thing? Xx
Oh it's cool, like I said unless I'm feeding mine he definitely hates my guts and would take off back to the rainforest first chance he gets! It's cool I still love him.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You have the right cuttle bone. Watch and see if your tort eats it. Took Opo a while to figure it out. If you notice he is not touching it you probably want to get some calcium supplements. I don't want to give the wrong info but if he doesn't get natural sunlight outside every day you should get a calcium supplement with vitamin D in it. Other members if I am wrong please let me know.

United kingdom
He's spent a lot of today in the garden in the sun. However, I live in England so let's face it he's going to mainly be indoors! I want his home to be as realistic as possible. I have designed how I want it to be so I was hoping that you could let me know if there are any reasons why I can't create this. So could things be bad for his health etc. Also if you have any ideas on how I can create it as in what would be good to use and things like that would be really good. Xx

sketch-1531068449754.png