hi every one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jr sulcata

5 Year Member
hi i am glad to have found this web site. i have a 5 and a half month old sulcata tortoise named Champinion.

about a week ago i put him out side in his enclosure the weather was around 80f long story short 2 hours later after i put him out side i came to check on him and the little guy was gone . i searched for him till night and could not find him. that night it was around 50f degrees outside so i fugured that it wouldnt make through the night:( and a week later ( which was yesterday in the afternoon) i found him in the middle of our front yard. so i took him inn and put him in warm water and was just amazed that he survived a whole week out side when temperatures hit lower 50's at night.

after an hour of having him back with me i started to noticed that he was not as active as he used to be and not only that his eyes would not open. so i got really worried about him and took him to the vet this morning . the vet said to raise his temperature and provided me with eye drops as well as critical care to feed him.

as soon as i got home i put the eye drops on him and within minutes he fully open one of his eyes and the other one is half way open and what made me happier was that he is acting normal again eating and walking around.

the only bad thing that the vet told me was that he is under weight for his age

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

They can survive a lot. He'll probably be fine. Here's how I like to house and care for them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1HHAQLiub

There are lots of great outdoor enclosure ideas in the enclosure section. We've all had mishaps with putting them outside for sun. We just have to learn from our mistakes and be more careful the next time. The benefit of sunshine is well worth the risk. It was very brave of you to make this your first post and we'll all benefit from you sharing this with us. Those of us who have been where you are will remember to be extra careful. Those of us who haven't made such a mistake YET, will know what to watch out for. Thanks jr. Where are you located?

LindaF

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. I am so happy you found your little buddy!

jr sulcata

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

They can survive a lot. He'll probably be fine. Here's how I like to house and care for them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1HHAQLiub

There are lots of great outdoor enclosure ideas in the enclosure section. We've all had mishaps with putting them outside for sun. We just have to learn from our mistakes and be more careful the next time. The benefit of sunshine is well worth the risk. It was very brave of you to make this your first post and we'll all benefit from you sharing this with us. Those of us who have been where you are will remember to be extra careful. Those of us who haven't made such a mistake YET, will know what to watch out for. Thanks jr. Where are you located?

thanks every one and im in Georgia

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi jr sulcata:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Were you able to figure out how your little guy escaped his pen?

Just keep him warm...a little warmer than usual. Don't let him get below about 70 at night and around 85 during the day. After a couple weeks you can go back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.