Hi Everyone! Help a newbie pick a Tort?

Sierra.T

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello Everyone!

I'm so happy to have been suggested this forum by a friend but I have one problem.. I have no lovely little tort of my own (yet) and am having a tough time figuring out which one would be best for me and where I live.
I'm from Nevada but I live on the western slope of Colorado and therefore a semi-arid region,
from what I have read so far it seems like a Leopard tortoise may be a good choice but if anyone has any advice for a wannabe new tort owner it would be greatly appreciated!! ~ Thank you ^^

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Welcome! Russian tortoises are also GREAT beginner torts. :) I adore mine!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I usually recommend a Russian tortoise for a first timer. Plus, when you live in an area that has very cold winters, Russians hibernate.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest a hermanns or a horsefield as they're best for beginners, leopards may be prettier but are harder to look after :)

Gracerose413

I suggest a Russian to. They are the best for beginners and maybe in a couple of years when you are abit more experienced you could get a leopard tortoise.

Sierra.T

Colorado
Great! thanks everyone for the welcomes and wonderful advice! My other question is this: I don't really trust places like 'Petco' or PetSmart' to buy my new baby so where should I try? Find a breeder maybe?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Leopards are great I've had mine for 14 yrs . But don't forget their are many to choose from pancakes , Greeks , marginals , and don't forget your desert torts also . Good luck with your choises .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Sierra.T

Colorado
I'm not sure I have ever heard of a 'Pancake' one! I found some Russian torts at a local (non-chain) pet store and for one it was about $130; it looked to be about maybe 4 1/2 inches but they both where hiding and had their back to me so hard to tell exact size or sex. But neither had any pyramiding so that makes me feel better about getting one from that shop. :)

Sierra.T

Colorado
Have you considered a box turtle?
I have actually; do they do well in the cold? I'm not picky on color just a juvenile (preferably), is easy enough for a new owner, and not from petco or the like. I'm not having much luck finding a breeder close to my area.