Hi Everyone my name is Roy

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I have 3 sulcatas and 1 Aldabra. I have been into reptile for many years and into tortoise for 15 years. I am very happy to find the forum. I hoping to get some valuable information to help me to take care of my tortoise better.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi all I am sorry about the pictures. I am not real good with a computer and I am trying to figure this all out. I am trying to see if there any information on substrates and I cannot figure out how to get to it.

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm just kidding, take your time. The threads at the bottom of my post will help you with your Sulcatas if they are little ones. For the most part, if your Aldabra is little too, I would imagine some of the same temps and humidity would be good for him too. @ALDABRAMAN can maybe confirm if that is a good temp and humidity for a young Aldabra. 80 temps, 80% humidity and basking 95-100

As for substrate, I use coconut coir for my leopards. Doesn't cause impactions and holds humidity well and won't mold. If you bake it at 250 for about 2-3 hours before using, it will kill a lot of the bug eggs that you get with almost all substrates.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Roy!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Always nice to have another Aldabra keeper here. :)
It helps if you can list your location on your profile so when others respond to you , they have an idea of the weather you are raising them in.

How old and what size are your tortoises ?

My experience has been that almost any questions I've had were quickly answered here. Especially if you post in the " species specific" thread area. We have one member who has many mature Aldabras, @ALDABRAMAN He is also a breeder a great resource for information.

Welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Or you can freeze the bricks before you hydrate them and that kills bugs too.
Yes, freezing does work too, but the bugs do come back sooner then if you baked them. I have done both. The eggs don't really die I don't think in the freezing, more like putting them in a dormate state. It does take longer to see any then if you didn't freeze at all though. Baking kills them off. I actually don't remember if I even got bugs after the baking. I believe that was the point that I moved my torts out to the shed and probably threw the substrate away.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Roy and welcome to a great place for information and inspiration!
There is a good caresheet for sulcatas under species specific which may answer your questions re substrate and lots of other things.
Although you're far from being a beginner the Beginners Mistakes thread is also useful for tweaking and fine tuning any care issues.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing all about your torts and I'm sure with your experience you will have valuable contributions to make too.