Hi everyone my uncle died and this little guy was in his backyard

Medievalme

we could not bear to take him (her) to the pound so we brought it to our house about a year ago. We named him Frank (after my uncle) and he seems really happy and actually a very friendly little guy. Gets along with our small dog and cats very well. They like him too. He lives out in the front (very gated) yard on the grass and has a big wooden house area filled with TIMOTHY hay. He eats very well. Come out for breakfast early in the am and let's me pet his head and under his chin. Question is - we have a bush nearby that has pink berries on it. I think it's a brush cherry. Worried if the berries are safe for him or not? When our apricot and hibiscus trees dropped the fruit and flowers on the ground I knew it was fine for him to eat but not sure about these and he tends to run to them like he does the bright colors of the bell peppers I cut up for him sometimes? Anyone know. Also yes I know this is a sulcada tortoise and they live forever and get huge. I NEVER would have bought one for myself. Just love animals and did not want him to suffer because my uncle passed away. Anyone know if these berries are bad for tortoises??

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Maybe you could post a picture of the bush, berries and leaves. Someone might be able to identify the bush.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll have to see a picture of the plant. I'm pretty sure heavenly bamboo is toxic, and it has berries. Pyracantha berries are mildly toxic. We need to see the plant.

Medievalme

And this is the yard he spends
Most of his time in. Though when we are out he gets to go out of the white gate and walk all the way to the backyard and cruise around. His wooden hut and Timothy hay is way in that far back corner to the right. He seems really happy and the UPS/Fed ex and postman all love him. Even the gardeners are getting used to watching out for him now. I am worried he will get really big and start to dig like some things I have read (so far he has not dug anything). But again it wasn't really a choice something I felt we needed to do when my uncle died.

Medievalme

Should I do the right thing and find a proper home or rescue for him or do you all think it's okay to keep him as part of our family??? Are we doing him a disservice? Does he needs other tortoise or are having my daughters and cats and dog enough "friends". I don't want to do him harm as I see how angry people get when other people buy these little tortoises not knowing they grow really big. I tried searching to find out what type he was when we found him and got some really mean people telling me off for having him. Not even realising I adopted him I did not buy him.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Should I do the right thing and find a proper home or rescue for him or do you all think it's okay to keep him as part of our family??? Are we doing him a disservice? Does he needs other tortoise or are having my daughters and cats and dog enough "friends". I don't want to do him harm as I see how angry people get when other people buy these little tortoises not knowing they grow really big. I tried searching to find out what type he was when we found him and got some really mean people telling me off for having him. Not even realising I adopted him I did not buy him.
He doesn't need other tortoises. They don't need friends. They are solitary creatures. You have to be careful around dogs because sometimes they like to chew on tortoises. Even when they've been fine together in the past doesn't mean a dog won't decide to chew some day. You don't need to find another home for your tort as long as you learn the proper way to care for him. Your tort looks pretty good.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I cant see the pictures for some reason:(
But as Big Charlie mentioned. Be careful of dogs and your tortoises doesnt need friends.
Many people get tortoises without researching proper care, and then the tortoise suffers. But if you're willing to ask questions and take our advice to care for your tortoise correctly, then thats great!
As far as digging, ive heard many donthis also. There are a couple threads where members address this. Tom usually create humid hides or so that are partially dug underground for sulcatas. It lets them go under without creating burrows everywhere, which could be dangerous if the tunnels collapse. Browse around, check out our caresheet and ask plenty of questions :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you could very well keep him. However things do need to be done a little better. The dog should not be allowed by the tortoise without 1000% supervision, never alone no matter how much you think they get along. The hay should be removed, it's too drying. If you could give him an area that is just for him, with proper shade and untreated grasses and weeds to graze on and a secure house to sleep in with dirt or coconut coir as a substrate. A large water dish with low sides that he can get into to soak or drink. The tort house should be able to be heated for cold nights. Where are you located? Do you get real cold winters? He will need a proper winter enclosure with heat and UVB lighting.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hello, welcome to The forum. That is a good looking toward us. And by the way, is that a Cavalier King Charles spaniel?! I've always wanted one of those.
Anyway, where you're located might help people give you better idea of what will be needed for his care. That last picture, but nice Square area of your yard, could be turned into his area. It would need a little bit of reinforcement on the fences. But it could work. And even though that adorable dog doesn't bother him right now your tortoise is still too small to be left alone with the dog. They never really get big enough to be left alone with the dog to tell the truth. Check out the species specific section, and the enclosures section, and get some ideas about how people have these tortoises set up. I think it was very good of you to take in this tortoise and to decide his future, many people would've just taken him to the pound and dumped him off.

Prairie Mom

Hello:) I did a little research about the Brush Cherry and unfortunately couldn't find any clear answers for you. If you are worried about their toxicity, you could run a board or something along the base of the plants so your tortoise can't nibble them. There are things you can do.

Here is a nifty resource for you. This is a website called "The Tortoise Table" where you can search many plants to find out if they are tortiose safe: http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Here are a few trusted care sheets that may help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

This thread has some good links to outdoor tortoise homes: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-a-tortoise-box.114640/#post-1064342

Make sure there is always water available. Many members use terracotta planter bottoms (flat base) for tortoises around that size.
---------------------
As far as whether or not you should keep him...The fact that you are genuinely concerned and even asking whether you are doing this animal a disservice, makes me say "YES!! You are a good Tortoise Mom!!" Ignore anyone that judges and criticizes you for keeping this precious animal. I have my own sulcata who was found as an unwanted stray. Yes, she will get huge and we live in the worst kind of climate for her with long harsh winters. I do believe that where there is a will there is a way. You are capable of slowly over time creating a good life for this animal. Don't stress if you can't get everything perfect all at once, just keep learning. I would have never thought to seek after this kind of pet, but am in love. My tortoise has truly enriched my world.

Good luck, do lots of searches, and post lots of questions throughout the forum!:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You've gotten some pretty good advice so far, but I would add a few things.

Fruit is not good for this species. Your tortoise should be excluded from the area where the apricots drop during that time of year. Hibiscus flowers and leaves are great tortoise food though.

The links that Prairie Mom provided should help give you all the right info.

I have no idea why someone would berate you for rescuing an animal in need. That makes no sense…

These are a tropical species, meaning they need warm temps year round. You didn't mention any sort of night heat, so I was wondering what you are using for that and where you are.

We are here to talk torts and help each other. We won't be castigating anyone. :) Hope this helps.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Frank.
Lots of people here to help you, not to judge you. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
we could not bear to take him (her) to the pound so we brought it to our house about a year ago. We named him Frank (after my uncle) and he seems really happy and actually a very friendly little guy. Gets along with our small dog and cats very well. They like him too. He lives out in the front (very gated) yard on the grass and has a big wooden house area filled with TIMOTHY hay. He eats very well. Come out for breakfast early in the am and let's me pet his head and under his chin. Question is - we have a bush nearby that has pink berries on it. I think it's a brush cherry. Worried if the berries are safe for him or not? When our apricot and hibiscus trees dropped the fruit and flowers on the ground I knew it was fine for him to eat but not sure about these and he tends to run to them like he does the bright colors of the bell peppers I cut up for him sometimes? Anyone know. Also yes I know this is a sulcada tortoise and they live forever and get huge. I NEVER would have bought one for myself. Just love animals and did not want him to suffer because my uncle passed away. Anyone know if these berries are bad for tortoises??

View attachment 183768
Very sorry to hear that your uncle passed away. Please accept my sincere condolences.

A gorgeous tort!

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Frank is a nice looking Sully ! I think you should keep him. Sure some adjustments will need to be made , but that is not unusual when you get any new pet ! ;)