hi everyone

Bethanie

Hi everyone, I have a 5 year old Russian tortoise, a female named Anolea. Were from RI. I've had her for almost a year and suddenly I have a couple of questions. Some of them are crazy but bear with me...

1. I let my tortoise sleep in my bed during the winter because the room her house is in is the coldest room in the house, (it's an add on) and when I check on her she's freezing. We don't keep the heat on at night and I don't leave her lamp on because I'm scared it will catch fire. But when she sleeps with me she has her own blankets and burrows herself in it. She is always warm and she loves it. I haven't read anything bad about it but sometimes I over think.

2. Should my tortoise be living outside when the warm weather comes around? I put her out there all day and I night I bring her in. Her house is covered so predators can't get in but I just don't like leaving her out there.

3. When i talk to her, she sticks her neck out quite long and comes trotting to me. Does her neck being out mean she likes me?

4. Lastly, what can she play with. I feel like she is always bored....

I hope I'm not crazy, I read too much into things and panic and i couldn't fall asleep. She is a very happy tortoise and i want to make sure I'm a good tortoise mom. Thank you :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Why don't you put a CHE on a thermostat at night so its safe?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Bethanie welcome to the TFO from AZ. Russians Rule ! That being said I always say torts are like children and you hear all the time that your child shouldn't sleep in your bed . And we like Picts you said your torts house is covered ? But is it covered with a wire fense or with a piece of ply wood because the tort needs natural sun light and yes it needs freash air and lots of sun light if weather permits . You didn't say what you feed it and how it eats in the cold . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423574595.440048.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bethanie, and welcome to the Forum!

Since tortoises can't make their own heat, wrapping it up in a blanket doesn't really do much good. The only way a tortoise in your bed will be warm is by getting the heat from your body.

I agree with Anyfoot's suggestion. The tortoise needs its own habitat and the habitat needs to be set up to care for the tortoise properly. Using a UVB light during the day, then a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night, and covering or partially covering the habitat should keep the tortoise warm enough

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
Welcome to TFO from the UK! Your tort sounds very loved, however it's very easy to attribute 'mammalian' emotions to them. I noticed that my tort Vince always acts like he wants to come 'up' but really it's because he knows I'm where the food comes from..

Bethanie

Anolea has both an indoor home and an outdoor home. I will post pics of her indoor home in after I finish this.. I can't get any of her outdoor home because there is about 3 ft of snow out there. But both of her houses have screen on them. She does have a light in her indoor one, and sunlight goes on her in the outdoor one.

Her food varies, we switch it up every week. Some things she eats are Dandelions, Kale,sometimes little carrots, turnip greens and mustard greens.

My boyfriend and I are going to look into the CHE tonight.

Thanks everyone :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi everyone, I have a 5 year old Russian tortoise, a female named Anolea. Were from RI. I've had her for almost a year and suddenly I have a couple of questions. Some of them are crazy but bear with me...

1. I let my tortoise sleep in my bed during the winter because the room her house is in is the coldest room in the house, (it's an add on) and when I check on her she's freezing. We don't keep the heat on at night and I don't leave her lamp on because I'm scared it will catch fire. But when she sleeps with me she has her own blankets and burrows herself in it. She is always warm and she loves it. I haven't read anything bad about it but sometimes I over think.

2. Should my tortoise be living outside when the warm weather comes around? I put her out there all day and I night I bring her in. Her house is covered so predators can't get in but I just don't like leaving her out there.

3. When i talk to her, she sticks her neck out quite long and comes trotting to me. Does her neck being out mean she likes me?

4. Lastly, what can she play with. I feel like she is always bored....

I hope I'm not crazy, I read too much into things and panic and i couldn't fall asleep. She is a very happy tortoise and i want to make sure I'm a good tortoise mom. Thank you :)
Hi there Where is RI.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Rhode island.
Ah ok Thought you meant Republic of Ireland. You said your tort seemed bored. Why don't you put some plants in the environment and make the substrate have small hills instead of just flat. Put a few more hides in and a water dish that is at substrate level. Maybe when you feed her you could hang some greens so she can stretch up a bit to chow on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
this made me giggle I don't know why :) @Anyfoot its in the United States.
Ha ha ha.:) You guys abbreviate everything. I'm only just getting used to it. :( So :p. Only kidding. Thought she meant republic of Ireland, was going to suggest giving it some Guinness to warm it up, works for me. lol ;)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Ha ha ha.:) You guys abbreviate everything. I'm only just getting used to it. :( So :p. Only kidding. Thought she meant republic of Ireland, was going to suggest giving it some Guinness to warm it up, works for me. lol ;)
It's not that we abbreviate everything , we all fight spell check :)

Bethanie

Ah ok Thought you meant Republic of Ireland. You said your tort seemed bored. Why don't you put some plants in the environment and make the substrate have small hills instead of just flat. Put a few more hides in and a water dish that is at substrate level. Maybe when you feed her you could hang some greens so she can stretch up a bit to chow on them.
Lmao oops yep I'm in little Rhody! But I think I'll make some hills for her with her substrate. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's funny.:) Best answer I've ever heard about the SSC. Although if I didn't use the spell check I may aswell be speaking marshen.
Your right but other times with its help we still speak marshes see I spelt marshen :)