Hi everyone

Davina1

I am new to this site and need some advice! I am a veterinary nurse not of exotics and we had a stray tortoise brought in, she is very malnourished with a deformed shell. She hasn't eaten in over two weeks. I am currently waiting for a tortoise house for her at the moment. She is on soil with a uv lamp with soaks daily. She is bright a little bad tempered. She is drinking when she is in the bath. Any tips on trying to get her to eat short of tube feeding? ( I am experienced at tube feeding) but would like her to eat on her own. I think she is a horse field tortoise? We haven't got a exotic vet near us have tried to get advice but to no avail. Tortoise rescue are full and can't help I am happy to keep her and want to make sure I get her back on track with eating. Sorry for the long message. I hope some one can help.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427616706.821364.jpg the picture doesn't show her body is too big for her shell and its curling up at the back. Her beak was severly over grown and my vets have been able to trim that back and she did eat a bit of cucumber and strawberry but that's two weeks ago.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! I personally can be of no assistance, but i assume there are people on here that can really help you. I have heard of putting mashed carrot baby food in the soaking water so when she drinks she will gain nutrients, but like I said I really am not entirely sure what is best. I hope she is okay!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Try adding a jar of carrot baby food to the soak water. Other than that you can offer some pumkin puree, the kind you buy for pies without any spices. Put a glob of that in the food bowl on some healthy greens. They take some time to get use to new places and new foods. Do you know what she was fed in the past?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
She may be sulking because she's not getting whatever, probably incorrect, diet she was used to in the past.
The carrot baby food idea is often suggested here. Being active and drinking are good signs, but try to get some nutrition into the water.
Hopefully she will get hungry enough to eat something more substantial soon, but she is bound to be stressed at this time, poor girl.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Try romaine lettuce. That's usually a great treat. Fruit is too hard hard to digest. If she is too cold or too hot she won't eat. And that remark about being fixated on her old food is right. If you can find out what she is used to, you can mix it into good food in decreasing amounts. Can you find dandelion leaves & flowers?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Judging from the deformed shell, I'm guessing this tortoise had no sunlight (UVB) and was fed dog food. When they're used to eating things like that, they don't recognize the good stuff as food. If you have no way to find out what the tortoise is used to eating, you're going to have to experiment. Moisten some dry dog food and see if she'll eat that. If she will, then you just have to add some chopped greens and mix it all up. Over time you can decrease the dog food and increase the greens until pretty soon you're only offering greens.

Russian tortoises (Horsefields) eat broad-leaf greens and plants - not so much grass. Try Rocket salad or dandelion. You're going to have to be creative.

I hope you're able to turn this little one around. Good luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with the great comments above, especially the one asking about temps, it could be a lot stress especially from getting a beak trim. As stated romaine, spring mix, and even dandelions seem to be good items to get them eating. Time in the sun can help. Just remember to have shade too and that Russians can be great escape artist often seeming to do the impossible.

To the baby food carrot bath (or squad) you can add Pedialyte and there is a critical care made for tortoises. Keep it warm for the entire soak time. Do it a couple of times a day.

Davina1

Thank you all for your advice will put some food into the soak with her. I have no idea what she was previously fed so it's a process of elimination. I have plenty of dandelion which I will offer her is she doesn't take it I can purée it up and add it to her soak. She has plenty of light/shade in her temporary house. And I have a thermometer in her cage to keep an eye on her environment temperature. I will keep you all updated thank you again x

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good news I put some dandelion in with her and when I came home they were all gone hoping she has eaten them
Great news! I don't think the dandelion fairy took them, so it's probably safe to assume they were consumed by a hungry tortoise!
Your perseverance and love has paid off.
Excellent.

Davina1

I am so pleased was starting to worry, the lady that originally found her wants her but we have said no because she is so fragile and needs a lot of time and care. Thanks again everyone so glad I found this forum x

sarah n sheldon

Iowa
It took my russian a few weeks to eat after I got him. Once I got a new heat lamp he became pretty active. He now eats romaine, broccoli, & kale. Cant get him to eat any pellets or carrots though :)
Also make sure your lighting is UVB!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the TFO. You've getting some great advice !

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are awesome best of luck with her :) So glad she is in your care

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Davina1 and how is the poor thing doing? is she still eating the dandies? I hope you've found the care sheet useful - the one for my tortoise has really helped me. They're under 'species specific' section I think.