Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Esther.
You may find a few years down the line that she is he.
There was some confusion with my leopard when he was much bigger than her.
But he is still called Lola!!:)

tyree213

New Orleans,LA via Los Angeles
Thanks TechnoCheese yeah I read that article a couple days after getting her. For the enclosure Im temporarily using a plastic bin, its not as big as it should be but im in the process of deciding which route to go for on enclosures, I have a huge aquarium but I want a tortoise table. For substrate there is Spagham Peat moss in it and I spray water in it throughout the day on one side and she also gets soaked. She has a mercury vapor bulb.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks TechnoCheese yeah I read that article a couple days after getting her. For the enclosure Im temporarily using a plastic bin, its not as big as it should be but im in the process of deciding which route to go for on enclosures, I have a huge aquarium but I want a tortoise table. For substrate there is Spagham Peat moss in it and I spray water in it throughout the day on one side and she also gets soaked. She has a mercury vapor bulb.

I would not use a table, unless you mean closed chamber. Your Sulcata needs very high humidity, and it is impossible to keep in something open topped like a table.

I also would not use a mercury vapor bulb. They are very desiccating on tortoise shells, and often lead to pyramiding. I would use a fluorescent tube :)

tyree213

New Orleans,LA via Los Angeles
I would not use a table, unless you mean closed chamber. Your Sulcata needs very high humidity, and it is impossible to keep in something open topped like a table.

I also would not use a mercury vapor bulb. They are very desiccating on tortoise shells, and often lead to pyramiding. I would use a fluorescent tube :)

Thanks for the info. Will make those changes asap!