Hi, First time tortoise owner!

Tort Mummy

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, we rehomed two boy hermann's tortoises a couple of weeks ago (in UK) and I have never owned tortoises before, I got some brief info from the previous owner and then since having them I have sent myself mad trawling the Internet to see if I am doing things right, lots of contradicting info! I have found it very useful though, so I thought I would join this group and can ask if I need to know stuff.. Anyway, I love having Harry and Bo, they are very tame and interactive and a lot easier to look after than some of what I have read. I think everyone I know is fed up of me constantly talking about them and showing them photos! Hopefully you won't mind . _20180624_181926.JPG _20180624_171305.JPG

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi welcome! I’m in the U.K. too! [emoji636]
This is the best place for up to date information. Feel free to ask anything you need.
Beautiful torts!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
They are beautiful! I found a lot of conflicting info online before I got my tort as well. It can be kind of confusing. Trust me, stick with what you find here and you will have happy healthy tortoises!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Beautiful torts! Glad you have found us here. I joined this Forum 3 yrs ago when I got mine and have to say that thanks to the people here I’ve been able to raise 2 beautiful and healthy Redfoots from tiny hatchlings to 6&7 lbs monsters:) Stick around, check out your species section, ask questions, share your experience, make friends. It’s great to have you here. Welcome from Texas, US[emoji217]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

What the previous owners likely didn’t tell you, is that tortoises shouldn’t be kept in pairs. Your tortoises are going to need to be separated. It may look like they’re buddies, but tortoises are solitary animals, do not make friends, and are stressed by even seeing another tortoise.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Beautiful boys! :<3: Are they brothers? I also have two Hermann's, but they are much younger, we'll celebrate their 4th birthday soon. :D
I know how much they love it, but you probably already know that tomatoes should only be a veeery rare treat? ;)

Tort Mummy

England
They are Brothers and have been together for the past 12 years, I have been watching them a lot to see if they are appear happy together or not, and they spend a lot of time together, walking around, sleeping, eating, soaking and they are very relaxed with each other so may be strange for them if they were suddenly separated?
They do love tomatoes and strawberries but since reading more about their diet I have only given as a rare treat and given them mainly weeds, they are not so excited about these!
When I came home today, they had filled their water bowel with mud and were covered in it, I don't know if they did this Intentionally, is this normal behaviour and something they enjoy doing do you think, it has been very warm today?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
When I came home today, they had filled their water bowel with mud and were covered in it, I don't know if they did this Intentionally, is this normal behaviour and something they enjoy doing do you think, it has been very warm today?
The water automatically gets muddy when they repeatedly walk in and out of the bowl and of course this happens more often on warm days (when they are more active and also more inclined to bath and drink).
Not much you could do about it aside from moving the bowl to a less frequented place somewhere in the middle of the enclosure.

Tort Mummy

England
The water automatically gets muddy when they repeatedly walk in and out of the bowl and of course this happens more often on warm days (when they are more active and also more inclined to bath and drink).
Not much you could do about it aside from moving the bowl to a less frequented place somewhere in the middle of the enclosure.
Ok Thanks, It's funny because they had obviously been rampaging around but when I looked in on them they were innocently laying in the same place looking like they had not moved since I left them except there was mud absolutely everywhere , it was the inside enclosure as still working on the permanent outside one, so total clean out and bathtime for the boys!

Mr5p

England
Hi, we rehomed two boy hermann's tortoises a couple of weeks ago (in UK) and I have never owned tortoises before, I got some brief info from the previous owner and then since having them I have sent myself mad trawling the Internet to see if I am doing things right, lots of contradicting info! I have found it very useful though, so I thought I would join this group and can ask if I need to know stuff.. Anyway, I love having Harry and Bo, they are very tame and interactive and a lot easier to look after than some of what I have read. I think everyone I know is fed up of me constantly talking about them and showing them photos! Hopefully you won't mind . View attachment 243038 View attachment 243039
Lovely looking tortoises. I'm also UK based and also a Herman's owner. Enjoy them,mine puts a smile on my face everyday.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK

Welcome to the forum!

What the previous owners likely didn’t tell you, is that tortoises shouldn’t be kept in pairs. Your tortoises are going to need to be separated. It may look like they’re buddies, but tortoises are solitary animals, do not make friends, and are stressed by even seeing another tortoise.
What Technocheese has told you is true I am afraid. Tortoises are not aocial creatures and they see another simply as a rival for food and territory regardles of their gender. Bullying is common, especially mental bullying, and the subordinate tort fails to thrive and can become very sick indeed. Even sleeping together is often one tortoise stopping another from having the best spot. Problems are often common when something changes such as a new home. They should be kept entirely separately.

Tort Mummy

England
Lovely looking tortoises. I'm also UK based and also a Herman's owner. Enjoy them,mine puts a smile on my face everyday.
I know, I can't stop watching them, they are so inventive and flexible, they way they move around, climbing, sliding off of things, using their (hands?!?) and shells to move objects - usually to get a good sunbathing spot or try and escape! So cute too... I love having them.

Tort Mummy

England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK

What Technocheese has told you is true I am afraid. Tortoises are not aocial creatures and they see another simply as a rival for food and territory regardles of their gender. Bullying is common, especially mental bullying, and the subordinate tort fails to thrive and can become very sick indeed. Even sleeping together is often one tortoise stopping another from having the best spot. Problems are often common when something changes such as a new home. They should be kept entirely separately.
Ok, thanks for advice.

Tort Mummy

England
Beautiful boys! :<3: Are they brothers? I also have two Hermann's, but they are much younger, we'll celebrate their 4th birthday soon. :D
I know how much they love it, but you probably already know that tomatoes should only be a veeery rare treat? ;)
Hi, are yours both boys? They mostly eat dandelion leaves which they can't get enough of! and I supplement with pellets which I often scatter round the enclosure, if I hold one up to them to let them know I have put them round, they open their mouths straight away and they let me hand feed them. Happy Birthday to your tortoises xx