Hi Folks, new Russian owner here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Wisconsin
Hello everybody, my name is Cody and for my 28th birthday my super-awesome girlfriend surprised me with one of the best birthday gifts I've ever received: a Russian Tortoise whom I named Leroy.

I have owned and kept several turtles indigenous to my area (SE Wisconsin), but am very new to tortoises. My girlfriend purchased Leroy from a very highly regarded and reputable locally owned pet store that specializes in reptiles and tropical fish. The owners of this pet store breed Redfoot tortoises, and owned Sulcata tortoises in the past. They informed me that Leroy is a male, and that he is not quite an adult yet. Upon bringing him home I measured and weighed him. He's 5 inches (measured according to the pinned thread on this forum) and he weighed in at 377g. Does that seem like a healthy size/weight ratio?

Leroy's health is my #1 priority, and I have scheduled a fecal test, as well as a general examination at a local herp vet. He is very bright-eyed and seems to be in good health, but being new to tortoises I can not be certain. I've lurked on this forum for about a week, reading recommendations for substrate, lighting, temperature...etc.

My girlfriend and I immediately went to work building an outdoor, as well as an indoor enclosure. The outdoor enclosure is approximately 7' x 3' and the indoor enclosure is 2' x 4'. So far Leroy seems to be enjoying his new home, and I am greatly enjoying his company.

Like I said, I've been lurking around here for about a week and have found TFO to be a great source of knowledge and information and I look forward to being a contributing member of this community!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cody:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome and congrats on the russian,I own 3 myself and enjoy them immensely, I will say at 5 inches and male he is about as full grown as h eis gonna get, he has another inch or so to grow,males rarely get bigger than 6 inches, which is one reason russians are so popular,they tend to stay small.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum... Congrats on the new tortoise...

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Welcome and congratulations on having an awesome girlfriend who brought home such an awesome tortoise! :D
Any chance you could post some pics? :D
I bet Leroy is very happy in his new home! :)

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Hi Cody,

Welcome I am from West Milwaukee always good to see othe SE Wisconsin members here. I keep a small group of Russians. This is a great place to ger info. to keep your tort happy and healthy.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.