Hi Friends! New to Tortoises, But Longtime Animal-Keeper

Emmie._.Darla

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
Hello, friends!

My name is Emmie; I live in Orlando, FL in the USA. I grew up on a 250+ acre farm in north Alabama, where we cared for a wide variety of animals such as horses, cattle, rabbits, chickens and more. I have been setting up/maintaining saltwater reef aquariums since 2005 and I would like to begin researching a new pet to bring into my home-- tortoises have been a big interest for me since high school, where I helped care for a Sulcata hatchling for around a year.

Nice to meet you all!

AmandaF

Congresbury
Hello, friends!

My name is Emmie; I live in Orlando, FL in the USA. I grew up on a 250+ acre farm in north Alabama, where we cared for a wide variety of animals such as horses, cattle, rabbits, chickens and more. I have been setting up/maintaining saltwater reef aquariums since 2005 and I would like to begin researching a new pet to bring into my home-- tortoises have been a big interest for me since high school, where I helped care for a Sulcata hatchling for around a year.

Nice to meet you all!
Hello, friends!

Nice to meet you all!
welcome Emmie

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
Hello, friends!

Nice to meet you all!
Emmie, You sound very motivated and I bet a good pet mom too. Sulcata can grow Humungas !! But if you like and can handle that size.. I'm sure he or she will feel much love. I have a Marginate Tortoise 🐢 just#1 , about 7 yrs old.. est size can be about 14 inches. What I've noticed and read this tort doesn't Hibernate..but I do live in sunny California. 😎

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hello, friends!

Nice to meet you all!
Welcome to TFO Emmie!

This is a great place to learn about tortoises... explore and ask questions!

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome
I'm a few hours drive south of you.
If you can dedicate the space outdoors, you might want to consider a Redfooted tortoise. They do very well in our climate.
It's almost cheating.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Be sure to read the sulcata caresheet on here and the closed chamber thread. Also the night box thread. All written by Tom.
Are you looking for a hatchling or an adult rescue?
If looking for hatchling then the caresheet on here foroa hatchling is also what you want to be sure the breeder you buy from does.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, friends!

Nice to meet you all!
Hello and welcome.

Emmie._.Darla

Orlando, FL
Emmie, You sound very motivated and I bet a good pet mom too. Sulcata can grow Humungas !! But if you like and can handle that size.. I'm sure he or she will feel much love. I have a Marginate Tortoise 🐢 just#1 , about 7 yrs old.. est size can be about 14 inches. What I've noticed and read this tort doesn't Hibernate..but I do live in sunny California. 😎
Hi there, @King Arthur !

I haven't really decided on which Tortoise is right for me-- I do worry that a Sulcata will outgrow what I am able to provide right now, although I know they don't magically grow from hatchling to adult overnight... I just want to make sure I'm picking the best kind for what I'm able to provide for the foreseeable future. I will definitely check out the Marginate Tortoise! Thanks for your reply. :)

Emmie._.Darla

Orlando, FL
Hello and Welcome. Be sure to read the sulcata caresheet on here and the closed chamber thread. Also the night box thread. All written by Tom.
Are you looking for a hatchling or an adult rescue?
If looking for hatchling then the caresheet on here foroa hatchling is also what you want to be sure the breeder you buy from does.
Hi there, and thank you! I'll certainly check out the care sheets-- I haven't decided which kind will be the best fit for what I'm able to provide, so I have a bunch of reading ahead of me. :)

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hello, friends!

Nice to meet you all!
Welcome to the forum @Emmie._.Darla 🙂 You’re already several steps ahead of most people. Usually people come to the forum frantically after buying a tortoise. Good for you for educating yourself in advance. @ZEROPILOT gave some excellent advice, about looking into a Redfooted tortoise because of the area you live in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome to the forum @Emmie._.Darla 🙂 You’re already several steps ahead of most people. Usually people come to the forum frantically after buying a tortoise. Good for you for educating yourself in advance. @ZEROPILOT gave some excellent advice, about looking into a Redfooted tortoise because of the area you live in.
They're also really cool pets.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I love a Redfoot. To me this is the ultimate tortoise's tortoise. They are a great size, colouration, personality, hardiness, and they eat everything! Almost.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Emmie, and welcome to the Forum!

OliveW

Branford, FL
Welcome! Jealous of your FL weather :)

You shouldn't be right now. It's been insanely humid for a few weeks now. Even standing outside, without moving, for 5 or 10 minutes is uncomfortable. Worst humidity I've experienced in the 15 years I've lived here.

@Emmie._.Darla welcome! I live just about 90 minutes north of you. You certainly came to the right place for advice.