Hi from an excited new tortoise owner!

zlake

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi everyone! My name is Zach and I am the proud new owner of Boris, my Russian tortoise. I got him yesterday and got him all situated with his new enclosure and a nice soak. I had wanted a tortoise for a long time so i was very excited to get started. I do have a few questions that I would like advice on however. I am a little concerned with his behavior and carapace. I know it has only been a day bit i like to ensure that my animals are happy and healthy. He still is a little shy but I am assuming that will get better with time? He also likes to lay under his heat lamp a lot (but my ideas of his daily routine may be skewed because I have only seen him at the beginning and end of his day since I had class, so he may just be tired). is this type of behavior normal? Should I not bother him so much at first so he has time to acclimate or should i try to interact with him so he gets used to me? Okay, next thing, his carapace. I am not sure if this looks like a normal shell or if it is a little concave and flaky. I am taking him to the vet on Friday so then I will get his full health assessment but i just wanted to see what you all thought. Okay thanks and sorry for the very wordy introduction (those questions probably should have went in another thread).
IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1053.JPG

zlake

Colorado
To maybe answer one of my questions, I was just looking at the Russian threads and maybe the reason that his carapace appears flat is that he is the subspecies T.h.kazachstanica????

Keith D.

Arizona
Idk hmm, @Tom what do you think? Looks to me his shell has burns possibly. Soak him daily, he looks pretty dry. How old is he? What type of light are you using. Your substrate is correct. What are you feeding and watering him in.

zlake

Colorado
Idk hmm, @Tom what do you think? Looks to me his shell has burns possibly. Soak him daily, he looks pretty dry. How old is he? What type of light are you using. Your substrate is correct. What are you feeding and watering him in.
Okay I didnt soak him today because i thought you were only supposed to do it every few days but ill for sure start doing that. I am not sure on his age but he is pretty much full grown so I am thinking around 5 years old? I have a uvb (i now know i need to get a different one because it is coiled) and a 100 w heating bulb. Today he ate some romaine lettuce and i have a larger water dish (big enough for him to soak presumably?)

Keith D.

Arizona
Okay I didnt soak him today because i thought you were only supposed to do it every few days but ill for sure start doing that. I am not sure on his age but he is pretty much full grown so I am thinking around 5 years old? I have a uvb (i now know i need to get a different one because it is coiled) and a 100 w heating bulb. Today he ate some romaine lettuce and i have a larger water dish (big enough for him to soak presumably?)
How far away from the top of his shell is the 100w bulb, he looks really dry I would soak him daily for a month or so for 30min to a hour. We recommend a shallow Terra cotta basin at least 14inches across for a water dish, even with that dish I would still soak him. What are you feeding him on?

zlake

Colorado
How far away from the top of his shell is the 100w bulb, he looks really dry I would soak him daily for a month or so for 30min to a hour. We recommend a shallow Terra cotta basin at least 14inches across for a water dish, even with that dish I would still soak him. What are you feeding him on?
His shell is about 8-10 inches from the light but that is how his shell was when i got him yesterday. Should I move it higher? I was worry it wouldn't emit enough heat. Okay ill change his water dish and will for sure soak him thanks for the tip, and i did get one of those small exo terra dishes, but he didnt seem to like the lip so i flipped it over and he ate off that.

Keith D.

Arizona
His shell is about 8-10 inches from the light but that is how his shell was when i got him yesterday. Should I move it higher? I was worry it wouldn't emit enough heat. Okay ill change his water dish and will for sure soak him thanks for the tip, and i did get one of those small exo terra dishes, but he didnt seem to like the lip so i flipped it over and he ate off that.
Ya move it up to at least 12 inches from the top of his shell, and you could massage some EVCO on his shell (only the shell) it will help keep moisture in the shell.

zlake

Colorado
Ya move it up to at least 12 inches from the top of his shell, and you could massage some EVCO on his shell (only the shell) it will help keep moisture in the shell.
Okay sounds great! Thanks so much!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Zach, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and lovely Boris.
Yes, he should become far less shy given time as he gets used to his new home and to you.
if he's always under his heat lamp I'd be interested to know the temperatures on his warm side and cool side away from the basking spot.
Make sure he gets his warm soaks, but otherwise don't bother him too much to begin with, though a bit of hand feeding may help him know you're the food god and not a predator.
His shell shows a bit of pyramiding and flaking so he may have been kept in too dry conditions and perhaps too close to a heat lamp.
The shell will grow from underneath and this should not be a problem.
Have you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ ?
Useful info here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Zach!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona