Hi from Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
België
Hi my name is Otto Nero :D i loved tortoises since i was a chid but i could never get couse in Aussie it very costly (at least that what they said...) and in Chile it they stopped importing pet tortoises, so till a few days ago i was in Morocco and i found the most cutest tortoises for sale (like $5 each) i believe my two tortoises (Salsa and Squish) are of the testudo graeca marokkensis species i carefully checked them bought them and then i flew with them to Belgium and i believe that the 3hr flight could of coused a lot of stress on them, i put the tortoises each in a strong raffia/reed basket and put them in the checked in luggage (they were in the luggage hold of the plane) then after my arrival i found them safe and sound. But my big questions are the stress on the turtle and what effects they are, like one tortoise has a one puffy eye, i dont think the´ve ate yet (but they drink a lot), i dont really what conditions i should put them (my father told me i dont need a uv lamp since they house is already heated at abot 25°-28°C and they dont need much sun yet) i put small flowers, one letuce, and grass in their box but i havnt noticed them eat, so im getting worried mostly beacuse ive got no idea how take care them :D:tort: so any tips, facts, help would be veeeery apreciated :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Otto!

If you are housing the tortoises indoors, then, yes,they DO need a UVB light. Also, they could use a good long soak in warm water. It may take them a few days to settle in. Being moved from one place or habitat to a new one is pretty stressful on tortoises.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, they need UV light (tube lights are fine if you have a basking area for heat). More importantly, right under the basking light needs to be 35c for them to properly digest their food.
Please continue to soak them daily; you can add some strained baby food (1 jar to a small soaking container) like carrots or sweet potato. You can also add a good squirt of bird vitamins to the water. They will take some of this nutrition in through their skin near the tail and also when they drink.
They are very likely stressed, not only from the plane ride, but also who knows how long they had been for sale without water?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The puffy eye can be from some irritation during their travel. You need to put the sullies into a tub of warm water. The water should only go as high as where the top shell (carapace) meets with the bottom shell (plastron). The soak should be between 20-30 minutes long. You can soak them 2 times daily for now because of stress. If they are babies, you should soak them everyday or at least 3-4 times a week. While soaking, try to flush some warm water in the puffy eye. If the puffiness doesn't go away, try using some eye drops of water and saline solution. The kind of food they should be eating includes kale, turnip greens, collard greens, weeds, orchard grass, pumpkin, squash, rose pedals, hibiscus flower and leaves, mazuri to name a few foods. Never offer fruits, meats, or any foods not fit for tortoise consumption. Never feed regular lettuce! Always put a plate of water inside the enclosure. They need water always! Also, the kind of UVb lighting you should get is a mercury vapor bulb (mvb) 100 w. The heating bulb for night should be a ceramic heat emitter (che) 100w. This will provide night heat of about 95-100 degrees when lights go out. You also need to get something to measure temperatures in the enclosure. Never let the temps get below 80 degrees. Also, you need to keep the enclosure humid (about 80%). You can do this by misting the hide/enclosure, buying a humidifier or fogger. This is extremely important to maintain a smooth shell and avoid dehydration. Please keep us posted and we love to see pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.