"Hi" from New Forum Member

patscarr

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hi everybody! I'm your newest Tortoise Forum member. We got our Russian tortoise just a couple weeks ago. Previous owner said he bought it from PetSmart 3 years ago. I did quite a bit of research before and since getting it. That's how I found this forum, and decided to join. Everything is going well, except for one thing. It paces back and forth in its encloser all day. It is a glass aquarium, but I have put a 5 inch high piece of card board around the bottom of the whole thing. Back and forth all day. Is it going crazy?

patscarr

NY
:) Haha, thanks, I've got my snowplow guy all set to stop by tomorrow. :)
Here are some pictures. The tortoise is not that big and the encloser seems big enough.
But it just keeps pacing back and forth along the front, and if it is not crazy, I will be soon.

20190119_114235.jpg 20190119_114239_HDR.jpg 20190119_114242_HDR.jpg 20190119_114246_HDR.jpg 20190119_114256_HDR.jpg 20190119_114259_HDR.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

It's pretty expensive to get a glass enclosure that's big enough to house a full grown Russian tortoise. . . and yours IS full grown. Because Russian tortoises are hard wired to travel great distances in the wild looking for food, etc. it's hard on them to be enclosed in a small space. Having said that, pacing is one of the things that Russian tortoises do. You'll just have to get used to it. It won't be as bad if you can set him up in a larger space, though

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Your enclosure is really way to small. A Russian tortoise needs at least an 4 by 8 foot area. That should be the minimum. Read our Russian section. Check out the care sheets. This is all new up to date info on how to raise a health tort.
Welcome to the forum.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Welcome! Enjoy your new tortoise and read the Russian care info on the forum. It is a good one.