Hi from not so sunny Ireland

Ruksy07

Hi everyone,

My dream of owning atortoise has finally become a reality.

I have bought a hermanns hatchling (born in July 2015). We named him Toto. I'm a little concerned about the bulb he is under as he does not spend any time basking and instead comes out to eat (a lot for his size) and then back indoors to his dark little cave. it was bout from a reptile shop. 125 watts uva & uvb. Is there a certain height this lamp should be over the tortoise shell. Im afraid I may be cooking him?

Thank you for your time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome , from the desert !
m0754.gif

Ruksy07

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Most of those bulbs say on the box no closer than 12". But you'll need to check the temperature at tortoise level with a good infra red thermometer.

Have you had a chance yet to read our very good care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Baby tortoises are prey, so it's not unusual to see them hiding most of the time.

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately my husband was being a hero and had all set up and all packaging burnt when I arrived home with the tortoise.

I had a read of the link last night and found it very helpful. The lamp was too close for him for comfort and even this morning before I left for work he was basking which was a first! Most helpful thank you.

Elyce

So Cal
Hi, Im very excited your from Ireland. Is theyre alot of pet shops around selling tortoises?