Hi from Russia!

Dimitry

5 Year Member
Hi everybody! Just found your forum and sounds like not too many aldabra owners in Russia. So I'm planning to buy one in near future, but before that I want to be sure that I'm able to provide perfect condition for the torts.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. What is your climate like? Will you have to keep it inside for part of the year? This can be challenging even with much smaller tortoises.

Dimitry

5 Year Member
Well the plan is to get everything ready before I get my aldabra. I know it's a big challenge that's why I joined your community :) so I'm planning to get tort once I settle down in Sochi. Climate there is similar to Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana. I assume that for half a year temperatures should be OK to keep torts outside. That's an easy bit, since I'm going to have half an acre to acre of land there. The question is then to keep tortoises inside winter housing. I couldn't find dimensions for winter housing suitable enough for 1-2 adult aldabras. What are they? Then another challenge how to feed aldabras in winter time? Hope that there are anybody in USA who is living in similar kind of climates and already have a decision for my question

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everybody! Just found your forum and sounds like not too many aldabra owners in Russia. So I'm planning to buy one in near future, but before that I want to be sure that I'm able to provide perfect condition for the torts.

Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.:)

I presume it's very cold back there, right? If so, please keep in mind that torts need WARMTH and HUMIDITY.;)

Good luck and please keep us updated.:D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well the plan is to get everything ready before I get my aldabra. I know it's a big challenge that's why I joined your community :) so I'm planning to get tort once I settle down in Sochi. Climate there is similar to Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana. I assume that for half a year temperatures should be OK to keep torts outside. That's an easy bit, since I'm going to have half an acre to acre of land there. The question is then to keep tortoises inside winter housing. I couldn't find dimensions for winter housing suitable enough for 1-2 adult aldabras. What are they? Then another challenge how to feed aldabras in winter time? Hope that there are anybody in USA who is living in similar kind of climates and already have a decision for my question

The bigger the enclosure the better: torts are used to roam around in the wild as the please and where they please. Therefore they need A LOT of space. Have you checked the "Enclosures" Section?

Dimitry

5 Year Member
In the moment I consider green house enclosure to be the best solution. also I've found and info that one of the zoo in USA made and 2400 ft green house, half of it is occupied by 2 adult aldabras. So I assume that's the size of approximately 1200 ft I should be looking at.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's about 35'x35' - that seems small for two adult aldabras for six months of the year. I don't keep this species though (my climate is too cold to do it affordably), so I should leave this to those that do.

Dimitry

5 Year Member
Well I haven't checked yet what's winter housing size is used in Moscow zoo. climate there is much tougher then in Sochi. Anyway keep gathering data :)