Hi from Temecula Calfornia

MrMarg&me

Location (City and/or State)
Temecula California
We care for two female three toed box turtles.

We found Margie in a local ad in a now defunct weekly mailer. It was Seprember of 2014. She was being sold for $100 including "cage". Poor Margie. She was on wood and concrete. Nothing more than a margarine lid for water. Margie was ashen grey. Her shell had been chewed on the edges and she is missing scutes. Her right foot is missing and the claws on her left foot. I believe her tail is slightly nicked. I gave the seller the $100 and could not get out of there fast enough. I thought if I cannot help this animal I will find someone who can. I could not leave her there. We thought she was very old. The next week we took her to the vet and he thought by looking at her eyes she was about twelve.

Of course we still have Margie. We built her an outdoor enclosure that is 8' by 6'. She has a water area where she can submerge to the top of her shell. Her home is lushly planted. Margie has five hides including an underground pillbox because it gets quite hot here. I sprinkle her home most every day. More than once a day when we are having hot dry weather. I feed her as instructed by Bartlett on boxturtlefacts.org. Margie has good color now. Orange and yellow spots on her face and legs with a sepia background. Her claws are growing back on her left foot.

We purchased a juvenile female three toed from our local LLLReptile store last February. Lois was in perfect health from the beginning and is thriving alongside Margie.

I look forward to reading about other people's experiences with their turtles and tortoises. And I am encouraged by all the helpful information this site offers. I will have pictures to share as soon as our daughter can assist.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Glad you were so very kind to save Margie from a very poor home.

AmberD

Ontario
Welcome! It is sad how people can mistreat animals that cannot fend for themselves. Thank you for providing a caring home for Margie!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

I had to laugh that you have to wait for your daughter's help with the picture end of it. It took me quite a while to master the computer and the Forum too.