HI from the Texas panhandle

8Renae

Hi, my name is Renae I live in the Texas panhandle and I keep ornate box turtles. I have an outdoor pin that was a duck pin until my ducks died and I began converting it into a turtle pin when I started rescuing ornate box turtles from being ran over on the road. They now have a pond they can climb in and out of and a massive tomato bush that comes back every year that they pretty much live under most of the summer. I have always loved turtles but never thought I would end up with so many and just this past summer I had my first baby turtles turn up in my pin. The three of them are now very spoiled.

BILBO-03

Hi and Welcome!:) we would love pictures of your box turtles and pens, it sounds really cool.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Hello and Welcome. I just want you to know you need to check the Texas laws before taking them from the wild. I'm pretty sure you can but you always want to know.

8Renae

Hello and Welcome. I just want you to know you need to check the Texas laws before taking them from the wild. I'm pretty sure you can but you always want to know.

I did and there are actually places that collect them from the wild to resale them. I was just tired of finding them smooshed to pieces by people who would actually aim for the poor turtles that couldn't possibly get away. and sorry about the blank reply my computer froze up for a moment and it made me click something I didn't intend to.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I did and there are actually places that collect them from the wild to resale them. I was just tired of finding them smooshed to pieces by people who would actually aim for the poor turtles that couldn't possibly get away. and sorry about the blank reply my computer froze up for a moment and it made me click something I didn't intend to.

I know, I moved over 30 from the roads this year in Oklahoma and I've seen people run over them on purpose and it blows my mind why they would. I have a nice collection of ornates too, my favorite box turtle.

Those places collecting for resale are illegal.

8Renae

The pin is a little drab looking right now with winter killing most of the plants and grass, but I do have a few of my turtles inside that didn't get themselves buried in time before it froze. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I find my camera. lol

8Renae

I didn't look to far into the resale part. I just made sure I could keep mine. The main thing they don't want you keeping is the Texas horned lizard. Thanks for all the greetings.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Renae and a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and ask any question. Give your torts daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

Look forward to seeing pics! :D

Very sorry to know that your duck died. :(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and ask any question. Give your torts daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

Very sorry to know that your ducks died. :(

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

Very sorry to know that your duck died. :(

Gillian These aren't torts and really don't need daily soaks.

8Renae

I only soak once every two or three days and I only do this from watching them in their pin. Some would only go to the edge of the water and drink from the bottom step of pond while others would climb in entirely on their own and swim for a few minutes before getting back out and going to sun.
Thanks again for the warm welcomes.

8Renae

The ones inside I have to help soak because I was not prepared for the seven of them that didn't bury so I put them in the bath tub with a couple inches of water.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The ones inside I have to help soak because I was not prepared for the seven of them that didn't bury so I put them in the bath tub with a couple inches of water.

Weird they didn't dig in for winter. a few of mine waited very late this year, it has me a little worried and spring can't come fast enough.

8Renae

Weird they didn't dig in for winter. a few of mine waited very late this year, it has me a little worried and spring can't come fast enough.
It was weird seeing some of them are my oldest. I found them half way hidden in the flowering plants that had died and fell over and others were in shallow holes under the honey suckle that weren't even shell deep so out of fear of loosing them I brought them in.