Hi From West Yorkshire England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi i got my 1 yr old Herman Tortoise on Tuesday, All though you can not tell for sure the sex till they are older, from what i have read i think i have a male as he holds his tail to the side. His name is Shelby and he's is adorable. He had me worried because he seems to sleep alot he gets up at 7am warms up feeds, drinks and as a paddle runs around till about 9.30am then sleeps till 12 noon get up warms again snacks then disappears to his hide again till tea time when he comes out for a quick snack then he digs down between 5.30pm and 6.00pm for the night. I keep him warm anoth but after reading post on here i think he may be too warm as i have had his heat pad on though the day with his heat light, the hot spot is around 32 to 34 c and the cool end is at 25 c he is in a wooden 24in by 15 inch starter Viv i have read they are not idea but it as built in air vents and i open one of the sliding doors when i am in to let in more air flow and to try to stop the viv getting to hot, now i know about the pad being used at night i will turn it off in the morning and see if that makes him less sleepy. I am going to make a run for him so he can go in the garden in the summer when its warm, and his next house will be a bigger table top. I find a lot of the info out there very confusing one site says one thing then anoth says that is bad, fed them this do not fed them it its bad so i am sticking to the weeds with little bits of cress or clover and he loves dandilions. he as his vitamins and calciun sprickled on his food and i have put in a cuttle fish. Well that about it i have type my essay lol. Any advice is wellcome. By the way i weighed him on tuesday and he was 40g i checked him again today and he was 43g is that ok or has he put on to much or to little, i know if the grow too quick they get problems with there shell but i can not find any info on expected weight gain. xx :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracy:

1166144wbz5evhnbj.gif
to the forum!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Tracy! :D

What town are you in? I was in Yorkshire in 2007 with my daughter; we saw York, Thirsk and drove through the Dales over ButterTubs Pass--lovely!

We have lots of UK-ers on this forum and more than a few who used or are still using vivariums, so you should get some good information and advice about that micro-climate for Shelby. One thing is sure: he'll need a bigger enclosure soon, and if you can set him up safely outside when the weather warms up, his health will benefit from fresh air and sunshine! So your main ideas are right on track. ;)

Post some photos for us soon: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Stephanie Logan said:
Welcome to the forum, Tracy! :D

What town are you in? I was in Yorkshire in 2007 with my daughter; we saw York, Thirsk and drove through the Dales over ButterTubs Pass--lovely!

We have lots of UK-ers on this forum and more than a few who used or are still using vivariums, so you should get some good information and advice about that micro-climate for Shelby. One thing is sure: he'll need a bigger enclosure soon, and if you can set him up safely outside when the weather warms up, his health will benefit from fresh air and sunshine! So your main ideas are right on track. ;)

Post some photos for us soon: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html
Hi I live in Pontefract, I sussed out why he was so sleepy i was using the heat mat as well instead of putting it on at night and he was too warm the temps were at the top of what is ok, i turned it off this morning and the little fella is so active. I know the viv is not good for air flow even with a vent so i open it up to help him, i only found out they were not good after i bought it, I am planning on making a table top soon and just using the viv as back up if he gets ill or the room were he is keep gets too cold. Hopefully the Summer will be a nice hot one so i can take him out side to spend some time in a big pen xx

Status
Not open for further replies.