Hi, going from lurker to registered lurker :)

BentZero

Location (City and/or State)
Mt pleasant, South Carolina
Hi all, I'm considering getting a tortoise and to that end I'm starting my research. I intend to research the topic for close to a year. :) That's just how I've always been. The first phase of my research is to determine whether or not a tortoise is actually for me. The last thing I want to do is not provide him/her with the best care possible.

I live in coastal SC and after a bit of reading it seems that a Hermann tortoise is the one for me. I'm looking for something that can be kept outside most of the year and has a good personality.

I've read the care sheet and the dietary aspect was a surprise to me. I thought I'd be shopping at Publix more often and actually buying veggies haha. It seems that these little guys will do better with garden grown vegetation? In an outdoor enclosure do you just plant and hope they eat?

Okay, I've gone beyond introductions lol. Thank you guys for the forum and I hope to learn a lot of this journey. Even if it means that I ultimately decide not to get a little tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A lot of people will either plant right in the enclosure or in separate low sided trays and switch them out when they get low.
@HermanniChris is one to buy your little one from when your ready.

daniellenc

Maryland
Welcome. Yes naturally grown weeds and such are best but many myself included add in grocery store yummies to add more variety so plan to do both especially in the cooler months.

As for outdoor living a hatching can’t live outside year round and requires a rather large closed chamber humid environment. You’ll eventually need an 8x4 enclosure indoors for cooler days and evenings and weather SNAFU’s.

I grow some food, and have access to untreated areas full of weeds so food is not an issue but soaking a hatchling 30 minutes a day is a commitment of time. Other than that offer food and clean water 1-2 times a day like a dog lol. Once they’re older you can soak once a week and other than spot cleaning substrate is the only real work.

The last important thing to consider is MONEY. Yes it’s cheap to feed one tortoise but not cheap to house them. Indoor and outdoor enclosures will cost hundreds if not thousands. If you’re crafty and can build it is cheaper but still several hundred dollars. If you’re not crafty like myself envision spending $1,100 on an indoor enclosure alone without heating and lights.

They’re awesome pets!! But do require more time than a lot of people realize.

BentZero

Thanks for the replies guys! I figured that the enclosure would be the biggest issue for me. I had planned on allowing the little guy or gal to hibernate under the house in the cold months. It's an elevated house with a drive under garage. Our winters here are weird though. It's not uncommon to have 15° temperature swings in a 24 hour period or stretches of warm weather in the middle of winter. :/

I personally don't mind the idea of an indoor enclosure which I plan to build myself. My significant other may mind though haha.

BentZero

I forgot to mention that I do not plan to house a hatchling or even baby outdoors. Definitely would start life as an indoor tort. I just wanted something that I could also let outside. Mainly because I feel bad about only having a 4x8 enclosure. My main hesitation with owning a tort is feel like I'm not providing him/her with enough space. It's why I'll never own a bird. I've had fish, but for some reason I never minded having them in a tank.

Thanks for the replies guys! I figured that the enclosure would be the biggest issue for me. I had planned on allowing the little guy or gal to hibernate under the house in the cold months. It's an elevated house with a drive under garage. Our winters here are weird though. It's not uncommon to have 15° temperature swings in a 24 hour period or stretches of warm weather in the middle of winter. :/

I personally don't mind the idea of an indoor enclosure which I plan to build myself. My significant other may mind though haha.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

You might get away with vegetation planted in a large enclosure. Otherwise, you may find that a warm and hungry tortoise can quickly eat or trample everything that’s in there! The trays mentioned above can be a good solution for a smaller enclosure.

I am not sure it would be consistently cold enough in the winter for your tortoise to hibernate outdoors but I don’t know the area. What is the average cold temp in the months of November through the end of March or so? Is it damp during those months?

Is there a local tortoise organization that can give you feedback specific to hibernation in your area?

I would ask your vendor about hibernation as well; some breeders don’t hibernate tortoises at all; just keep them up inside, with the right lighting. I hibernate in a fridge because we live in a coastal area that stays fairly damp and doesn’t ever get very cold. But plenty of people keep them awake and the tortoises do just fine.

You haven’t purchased your tortoise yet so you don’t have to rush to make a decision.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Naturally, home grown food is best, but my tortoises have been supplemented with grocery store greens for years. Sometimes home grown just isn't possible.

BentZero

I went to the Charleston repticon today. So many snakes lol. Lots of sulcatas, but luckily I was able to find one vendor that had Herman's. Adults though and I really didn't like the look of their other adults. Looking for a reputable breeder is definitely a must.

I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning towards getting a little tort. I still have issues with keeping it in an enclosure. :/ Maybe I can let him roam around the house some?

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely not. Free roaming is the reason of a lot of sad threads here. Accidents happen quickly. Build a huge closed chamber and he’ll have all the room he needs. In spring and summer have an outdoor enclosure for daytime.