Hi guys!

Boris&Nellie

Location (City and/or State)
Burlington vt
My name is Laura and my boyfriend's name is Ben. We helped care for a 12 yr old female russian named Penelope last spring, who was staying with us because our roommates friend had landlord issues. We instantly fell in love with her and wanted to get a tort of our own!

We were recently lucky enough to find a pair of 3-yr old Russian torts up for adoption, and became proud tort owners a couple weeks ago! Their names are Boris (m) and Nellie (f).

We look forward to becoming part of the community!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 16

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura, and welcome to the Forum! Your picture is a little deceiving, and gives me the impression that the habitat is way too small for two Russian tortoises. If I'm wrong, I apologize for bringing it up. I just wanted to say that Russian tortoises are hard-wired to do a lot of wandering, and really need a big area. Also, with a bigger space the female will be better able to get away from the male's amorous attentions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) If I read that right, there were three to adopt, but you only took two? Along with agreeing with Yvonne's post above, it would have been better to get the three and not just two, if they were a breeding group. Tortoises don't do good in pairs, three or more is better, 1 male to 2 or more females. Also very important they have a very large enclosure with many site barriers in order to try and keep,the two together. Keep a close eye out for bullying.

Boris&Nellie

Burlington vt
image.jpg Yes I agree, they came with this setup when we adopted them...we changed the bedding from a shallow layer of pebbles to 50/50 coconut coir and play sand and took out one of their props because they didn't have any room. It's the best I can do right now because I live in an apartment in Burlington, vt.

I let the roam around the house while we are watching tv and try to take them outside to explore when it's warm enough, but I hope to figure out skmeth

Last edited by a moderator:

Boris&Nellie

Burlington vt
Hello and Welcome:) If I read that right, there were three to adopt, but you only took two? Along with agreeing with Yvonne's post above, it would have been better to get the three and not just two, if they were a breeding group. Tortoises don't do good in pairs, three or more is better, 1 male to 2 or more females. Also very important they have a very large enclosure with many site barriers in order to try and keep,the two together. Keep a close eye out for bullying.
It was just the pair up for adoption, but they are both 3 years old! I would have liked to just adopt one but we didn't want to leave the previous owner with one tort an no enclosure!

I have always fund that if any of mine are separated they go off there food and hide but my spur s have been together for over 40 years and my humans for 8 so I guess they must just get alone really well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's good that you kept them together they are happier with friends

So not true. It is possible in rare occasions, but this should not be a normal practice, also not the best advice to be given, specially someone new to tortoises. The result of two together can be deadly

I guess every case is different over hear in the UK there are lots of people who keep tortoises in groups and have no problems .as long as you give then big enough living space they seem to be okay .... I can only comment on my own experiences and keeping them out side in my garden helps

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome to your family! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I guess every case is different over hear in the UK there are lots of people who keep tortoises in groups and have no problems .as long as you give then big enough living space they seem to be okay .... I can only comment on my own experiences and keeping them out side in my garden helps
I'd say you've been very lucky. And groups of 3+ do better. Best ratio is 1 male for 3 female.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Boris and Nellie welcome to the TFO from AZ . Torts don't have the need for company they Evan let their young walk away . I would loose the sand from the soil mix to prevent compaction . And if you only have 2 torts you will get bulling you may not see it but you will one day see one tort is larger then the other . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410914055.817784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum