Hi! I’m a newbie!

Gina2ps

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
hello all!
I’m Gina, live in Ohio. In desperate need of help trying to find the right tortoise for our family.
My daughter who is 12 has been asking for a turtle/tortoise for about 2-3 years now. We’ve done some research and know that we want a tortoise. But not sure yet the right one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Start with a Russian tortoise. They are cute and personable. But first please do your research on this forum. We have a Russian tortoise section with all the up to date info. Don’t buy a tortoise from a pet store, use a reputable breeder. We have many on this forum.

Gina2ps

Ohio
Start with a Russian tortoise. They are cute and personable. But first please do your research on this forum. We have a Russian tortoise section with all the up to date info. Don’t buy a tortoise from a pet store, use a reputable breeder. We have many on this forum

Thanks Cheryl!
I do plan researching much more before we buy. We do plan to find a reputable breeder and not a pet store. Thank you for the information, I’ll look up that section.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Russians are great tortoises for first timers. Very hardy, they don't get big, and they have lots of spunky personality [emoji4]

Gina2ps

Ohio
Thank you !! I’m going to do some more research on those types.
I was reading last night that like to hibernate..
Does anyone have a Russian that does hibernate?

drew54

Indiana
hello all!
I’m Gina, live in Ohio. In desperate need of help trying to find the right tortoise for our family.
My daughter who is 12 has been asking for a turtle/tortoise for about 2-3 years now. We’ve done some research and know that we want a tortoise. But not sure yet the right one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

What if you got one of each?!?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
When my daughter was 12, she only wanted a pony. Never once did she ever ask for a tortoise. She wound up with a cat. lol

Welcome to the forum!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I hibernate my Russian in a fridge, as it doesn’t get reliably cold where I live. You need temps that are consistently under 45 and above freezing if you are going to hibernate outside.

Tortoises are great fun but I will point out that as your daughter is twelve, you’ll likely have fifty or so years owning that tortoise once she moves out. It’s a life-time committment!

daniellenc

Maryland
Check out red foots. They don’t dig, burrow, climb, or hibernate. They can eat the widest variety of food, are medium sized, and have bold personalities.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place to learn about tortoise ... I'm still a newbie, but feel that my decision to get a redfoot was perfect for me and my family for a variety of reasons; I'm certain you'll find the right one for you and yours.

Jamie