Hi, i heard humidity for a baby should be 80%... how do i accomplish this? Im misting.. i have heats

Ali311

Location (City and/or State)
Southbridge ma
Hi, i heard humidity for a baby should be 80%... how do i accomplish this? Im misting.. i have heat lamps and uvb. Using cypress mulch and the hide has moist spaghnum moss. Its a long rubbermaid with screen top. My humidity is a bit over 40% with all this

xMario

Germany
Hi, i heard humidity for a baby should be 80%... how do i accomplish this? Im misting.. i have heat lamps and uvb. Using cypress mulch and the hide has moist spaghnum moss. Its a long rubbermaid with screen top. My humidity is a bit over 40% with all this
U need to cover the enclosure and try to keep the lamps under that cover plastic greenhouses are cheap and a fast way to accomplish this

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
The screen is letting the moisture dry out. You want a solid top. Or make a greenhouse type covering to fully enclosure the tub

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species? Not all of them need high humidity.

You will never get humidity of 80+% without a closed chamber.

LexAndLeo

California
I just went and got a piece of plexi glass from Home Depot and cut it to fit the top of my aquarium and then cut holes to put the lights in. Keeps the heat and the moisture in the aquarium and was a cheap fix

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just went and got a piece of plexi glass from Home Depot and cut it to fit the top of my aquarium and then cut holes to put the lights in. Keeps the heat and the moisture in the aquarium and was a cheap fix
This is better than nothing, but it won't yield good results over the long term. Having the lights on the outside or creates a chimney effect. It draws your warm air up and out. It replaces your humid air with a dry room air. It also wastes electricity as most of the heat you are generating goes up and into the room instead of into the enclosure.

LexAndLeo

California
This is better than nothing, but it won't yield good results over the long term. Having the lights on the outside or creates a chimney effect. It draws your warm air up and out. It replaces your humid air with a dry room air. It also wastes electricity as most of the heat you are generating goes up and into the room instead of into the enclosure.

This is how the setup looks. The lights are screwed in through the holes so it seals them. IMG_8289.jpg

LexAndLeo

California
what watt bulbs do you use? how many inches from the substrate are your bulbs? I worry about it getting too hot.

I have an internal thermometer and humidity gauge. When the heat lamp is on the temp is consistently 80-85 and when the UV lamp is on it consistently stays between 85-90. I never have both on at the same time. I don’t keep the UV lamp on for extended periods of time because the humidity will start to drop to between 70-80%. But I take my tortoise out for at least an hour-two hours a day when the weather is nice to get some natural UV. And the bulbs are at least a foot if not more from the substrate, I haven’t measured it exactly.

LexAndLeo

California
This is Leo. I’ve had him for almost 5 months and He is 9 months old now. He’s growing fast for sure and his shell seems to be staying pretty smooth.

IMG_8291.jpgIMG_8281.jpgIMG_8276.jpg
IMG_8254.jpg