Hi I'm Brandon!

Brandon Harris

Location (City and/or State)
Greensboro, NC
Hi I'm Brandon, and I am glad to join this forum!
I have a degree Forensic and Field Biology from Greensboro, North Carolina, with a plan to get my PhD in Herpetology and Ethology.
I currently do not have a Tortoise, but I am "in the market" so to speak, and I have numerous other animals such as dogs, a cat, a turtle, lizards and large pythons. have done extensive research on all the animals I care for and I am constantly studying husbandry for animals I have yet to receive.

My reason for joining this forum is to learn the fine details of tortoise care, because textbooks and scientific research does not cover the day-to-day information that experienced keepers collect. I would also like to adopt a tortoise sometime in the near future and I am ready to accommodate one now if the possibility arises.

Thanks for reading!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) You have come to,the right place to further your knowledge on tortoise care. Most books have old, outdated info. So, there is lots too learn here and lots of great people to answer any question.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Brandon welcome to the TFO from AZ . What kind of turtle do you have ?have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hi Brandon,
You are wise to seek knowledge from those doing it... rather than in textbooks. I have found as you, that just because it is written in a book doesn't make it accurate. Especially when it comes to animal care. The worst advice I've ever heard comes often from pet shops. A friend of mine rescued a Sulcota some time back and was told by the gal "he never needs water cause they live in the desert" and to feed him "fruit and lettuce mostly" plus regular tort food. It was badly pyramided
Thank goodness he did a little research and corrected this.
Welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brandon, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a few care sheets at the top of the different species sections, but not for every species. The main thing for you to remember is that books are ok as far as they go, but once it's printed and distributed, the info within stays the same forever and ever. We have new and updated info here on the Forum. And because we are a world-wide community, we learn new things and new ways of caring for our tortoises all the time.

Do you have any idea what species of tortoise you will be getting?

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Jhwells46

Hi Brandon! I am also located in Greensboro NC and if you have any questions or want to come check out my leopard tort setup, you're absolutely welcome to. If you want to talk further, feel free to send me a private message. Good luck!