Hi, I'm Kathy and I'm new, have alot of questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy57

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Kathy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Tortoises are supposed to have a high domed carapace (top shell). It should look like a large ball cut in half. Notice how your tortoise dips down over the hip area. That's a big indicator of Metabolic Bone Disease. Feed your new charge foods high in calcium to help it build stronger bones and shell. Foods like:

Turnip greens, dandelion greens, carrots, collards, kelp and cactus.

I don't like my sulcatas to burrow because if it turns cold, you don't have access to them. Thank goodness my sulcata never has offered to dig and is totally happy in his shed.

Yes, I've always said, once you allow a sulcata to see there is a world outside his fence, he's never going to be happy fenced in again. Is there a problem with letting him have the whole yard?

If you provide a "house" for the tortoise...a place where it can cool down if it gets hot, or warm up if it gets cold, then chances are good it won't burrow. Also, they like the safety and security of a hiding place.

Your tortoise is always going to look like it does now. The signs of MBD and pyramiding will not go away. However, a good diet, plenty of sunshine and exercise, lots of calcium-rich foods will go a long way to making your tortoise healthier. He's not a "perfect-looking" specimen, but thank goodness you found him and are going to make his life better. And besides...beauty is as beauty does!

Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks Yvonne for your advice.
We live in FL so don't have the cold to worry about for awhile.
When we first saw her she was in a square, concrete enclosure, straw on the bottom, with a very large male, and a bucket turned upside down for a 'hide'. We just had to get her out of there.
Once home, we built her a large stone enclosure, with multiple hides, both sun and shade, and her own very shallow pond.
We let her out daily for excercise and grazing but would put her back in when we left the house.
She has a fenced, 1/2 acre to run around in and I am shocked how fast she is and how much ground she covers on a daily basis.
She just decided to start digging one day and has not stopped since.
We have a sandy soil as we live near the water.
Her tunnel is about 6 feet deep and has a slight upward curve now, thankfully.
She is eating well and is active.
We are just watching her closely to see what happens.
Again, thanks so very much for your responses.
Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.