hi im new to all this

laura76

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
united kingdom
hi everyone I have just taken on a Hermann tortoise who is 12 yrs old we have been told hes a male I have had him 48 hrs and is already my baby he has a pyramid shell which we have been told this is through neglect from his previous owners is this true? so far I have bathed him which was quite nerve racking for the 1st time but he seemed to love it any advice would be welcome as this is the 1st one ive ever owned many thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura, and welcome to the Forum!

Pyramiding in the Mediterranean species of tortoise is a little different than the pyramiding of the leopard and sulcata species. It has more to do with no sunshine, improper diet and exercise, and just a bit of lack of humidity.

There's nothing you can do to change the way your tortoise looks. But I'm sure he's happy to be receiving better care now. When the weather gets warmer, set him up outside. They really love living outside, and do much better out there.

We have a good care sheet for Hermann's tortoises in the "Important Threads" section at the top of the Hermann's section here on the Forum.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome and the lumps could simply be due to someone not knowing that sun, diet, exercise and humidity are all so very important...not necessarily neglect....I think we all have a lumpy in our lives :D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Read, then, read some more about caring for a tortoise. You'll learn a whole lot here.