Hi! Im new to this and I need help identifying the species of my tortoise

Nelissa

5 Year Member
tortoise 001.jpg tortoise 002.jpg tortoise 003.jpg So yesterday I was given a tortoise by a friend, but I have no idea what kind it is. Its not really that big. I want to keep it and take care of it properly but I need help identifying the type of species first. Please help! Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You been given a small sulcata. They can get up to 250 pounds, they eat a lot, they need warm temperatures year round, can be destructive, and in the wild they dig deep burrows. You ready for all of that?

Nelissa

5 Year Member
You been given a small sulcata. They can get up to 250 pounds, they eat a lot, they need warm temperatures year round, can be destructive, and in the wild they dig deep burrows. You ready for all of that?
I can say with certainty that Im ready, Thank you for all the information!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello, Nelissa. Welcome to TFO. Like Tom said, you have a small Sulcata (aka "Sully"), and it'll reach upwards on 200lbs. Not sure how old it is, but definitely more than a year old. Please read Tom's care sheet in the African Tortoises section. Good luck! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nelissa, and welcome to the Forum!

LOL! He may not be very big right now, but he's going to get pretty darned big! And quickly too.

What a cute little Sulcata tortoise. He looks like he's been raised the old fashioned, dry method. Be sure to start soaking him every day for about 15 minutes each time, plus provide a waterer in his habitat that he can fit into, as they like to self-soak.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Nelissa, Welcome. Good to have your here also your lottle one too.

Please do follow Tom and Yvonne's advises, you will soon find out it will be very helpful to rise your Sully.

again, Welcome.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Nelissa welcome to the TFO from AZ. . Good looking tort . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

M

Maggie Cummings

My sis beats me to it every time...Welcome to TFO. That yearling looks really dry and if you don't start keeping him correctly now he's on his way to being pyramided. Please read those links that Tom provided for you and give that guy good soaks and about 80% humidity in his habitat. Please ask questions we're glad to help. My Sulcata is 150 pounds.