Hi, I'm new!

Ashley Baradell

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Mississippi
Hello,

My name is Ashley, and I have owned a red footed tortoise named Cecil (yes, named after the bugs bunny cartoon) for 3 years now. My goal for becoming a member is to increase my knowledge about tortoises to give Cecil a longer, happier, life.
A little about me: My mother put a toy stuffed tortoise in my crib when I was 1 day old. It played the tune of "it's a small world", and I listened to it every night to fall asleep until I was 12. I still have it, beaten up and filthy, and occasionally play it when I don't feel well. I'm not sure if this is why I am so fascinated and comforted near and around tortoises, but I like to think so :)
A little about Cecil:
I don't know the gender but I call it a "he". I don't know why. He likes it when I sing his name to him and likes to get nose to nose with my mix breed 12 year old dog. His favorite treat is a strawberry. I attached a photo of him back when Lonesome George passed away. We had a candlelight vigil (mostly for the silly photo)... Although I do believe he knew what was going on judging by the expression on his face :)

Anyway, hello again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 35

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Ashley. Welcome to the forum.
I have to say your Mom is a very smart lady.

Welcome! ! !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Great picture. Be sure to not leave your tortoise unattended around your dog, they just don't mix. We have many horror stories of tortoises getting mauled by their dog, even the dogs that the owners swore would never bother a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Ashley, and welcome to the Forum!

I love your picture and also your sensitive nature!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Welcome Ashley!
I think Cecil has a very dedicated owner, to " still own" the teddy bear :). No wonder you love tortoises!!
Look under redfoots,read the stickies, look at other posts ask questions and please share your knowledge and pictures with us.
Welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you!

dmarshall1991

Hi Ashley!! I too am new here but let me tell you these people are so welcoming! You won't regret becoming a member :) I don't have my tortoise yet but this Saturday I'm driving 2 hours to pick up my adopted guy! He too is a redfoot just like your beautiful Cecil :) hope to see you around on here and speak me!

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
hi, and welcome. you came to the right place to learn more about tortoises, it feels like i learn something new every day on here.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome, Ashley and Cecil! Great intro, btw.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Welcome Ashley!
I think Cecil has a very dedicated owner, to " still own" the teddy bear :). No wonder you love tortoises!!
Look under redfoots,read the stickies, look at other posts ask questions and please share your knowledge and pictures with us.
Welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you!

Exactly what Ms. Kathy said.:D You sound like an awesome tort keeper. And a very devoted one at that. :)