Hi, I'm new!

Taylor Sweet

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, USA
Hi my name is Taylor and i recently made the decision to adopt a juvenile Russian Tortoise! His name is Tank and he's very sweet and gentle. We live in Indiana, so during the summer, he'll be able to play outside and roam around in our large yard in the countryside. This is the very first tortoise I've had the pleasure of taking care of, and i have to admit.. I fell in love instantly!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1423592694370029696.jpg
    Snapchat-1423592694370029696.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations
Never has a day shined brighter or held more promise then the day you joined the forum

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome.

Please please please make a secure enclosure for him. It takes only a moment of inattention for a tortoise to disappear. It happened this week to someone else.

Taylor Sweet

Indiana, USA
Welcome.

Please please please make a secure enclosure for him. It takes only a moment of inattention for a tortoise to disappear. It happened this week to someone else.
Yes i plan to create a secure area for him when I move into my own place. For now I always stay right next to him whenever I take him outside. I love him too much to let anything happen to him! Right now he lives inside with me in his rubbermaid tub

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Yes i plan to create a secure area for him when I move into my own place. For now I always stay right next to him whenever I take him outside. I love him too much to let anything happen to him! Right now he lives inside with me in his rubbermaid tub
You can make a temporary enclosure, even a moveable one. Consider it a playpen. Cinderblocks or a raised garden bed work. By always staying with him, you are guaranteeing that he doesn't get much time outdoors. The kind of attention that is needed can't be kept up for long by anyone. You are taking a huge risk that your attention won't ever wander. Love isn't the issue.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Taylor welcome to you and Tank.
There's lots of good advice in the caresheet for you tort. The Enclosures and Beginners Mistakes threads are also useful to help you provide a safe home for him. So read search and ask as many questions as you need there's lots of experienced keepers here who'll get back to you in good time.

Some people use a cheap kiddies paddling pool to provide a safe enclosure when their torts are outdoors in the sun to make sure they don't get lost, or a raised garden bed kit you can move about to diff areas of your garden.
Looking forward to hearing more about tank and seeing some more pics

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Taylor Sweet

Indiana, USA
You can make a temporary enclosure, even a moveable one. Consider it a playpen. Cinderblocks or a raised garden bed work. By always staying with him, you are guaranteeing that he doesn't get much time outdoors. The kind of attention that is needed can't be kept up for long by anyone. You are taking a huge risk that your attention won't ever wander. Love isn't the issue.
I have a playpen for him already, he just doesn't enjoy it that much haha