Hi! Nervous new tortoise owner!

lexi41269

Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton
Hi, my names Lissi.
I'm a first time tortoise owner from Wolverhampton in England. I purchased my tortoise, T-Bone, last week and have joined the forum for some advice! I'm a nervous first reptile owner :)
I've spent the last 3 months researching tortoises and settled on a Hermann's. I bought him from a local hobby breeder and I'm already in love! T-Bone is 6 months old.
I have him in a 32L plastic storage container with HabiStat tortoise bedding. There is currently hay in his hide (I have house rabbits) but I have ordered sphagnum moss to replace this. He's on a diet of dandelions and pansies at the moment as that's what is currently growing in my garden lol. He also has a cuttlefish bone. At the moment I'm bathing him for 15 minutes every morning before feeding. I'm keeping his day time temperature between 32-34 and nights are around 20-21.

I have a couple of questions...

I am having a bit of trouble keeping the humidity up! Any tips would be much appreciated!

Can you recommend which supplements I should be buying for him?

Should I be concerned that I haven't seen him poop yet?! Urine and urates seem fine, he's going just after his bath.

Sorry for the information overload! I've attached a pic of T-bone and his enclosure.

Thanks a lot,
Lissi

IMG_20190517_085619.jpg IMG_20190516_184548.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations!
Humidity will be next to impossible in an open enclosure. Cover as much as possible. Closed chamber works best. Let's ask @JoesMum for advice.

lexi41269

Wolverhampton
Closed chamber and daily soaking will help your tort a lot.

Jamie
Thanks,
I have been soaking him for 15 mins each morning under the basking light. I still have the plastic lid for container so will try to fashion something [emoji16]

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks,
I have been soaking him for 15 mins each morning under the basking light. I still have the plastic lid for container so will try to fashion something [emoji16]

If you can get it mostly enclosed, the humidity will soar ... it doesn't need to be airtight.

Jamie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! This is a great site for getting help with your tortoise.
Yes, I agree that the enclosure needs to be covered (why not just use the same cover it came with?) He looks like he has been kept much too dry for quite a while.
The diet also needs to be more varied. Check out the diet sheets for these tortoises as well as all the other information available here. All the best!