Hi, new here (baby leopard, adult russian)

GMAC

Location (City and/or State)
Washington DC
Its been a while for us having baby torts but I adopted 2 from hurricane devastation in Texas last September. This week we lost one of the babies (Benson) Vet only gave them a 50/50 shot when they arrived, but it hurts nonetheless. Benson just never grew a bit, shell never hardened and eventually refused to eat despite supportive care and awesome Vet attention.

One baby is doing well (Stabler) and seems to have recovered nicely. Big appetite, lots of growth, active now. I dont have pix of the enclosure, but its a low/wide tort tank with ventilated top and covered glass sides. One end very moist (60 - 80%) moss with hidey holes and the other quite warm and drier with fine cypress and hay. He has a soaking bowl, MVB basking area around 95 - 100 deg and a cooler area around 90 steadily. Nighttime heat lamp only, temps around 75 -80. He is eating a mix of San Fran healthy herp rehydrated veggies/soaked mazuri pellets/fresh greens (he loves cactus pads and hibiscus leaves) with vit/cal twice a week.

Also have lovely Willow (I think she is a Russian - we adopted her too ... I also think "she" is a "he" but my son really wants her to be a girl, so ... ). She is so big now, she has a water trough (6 ft long, oblong) to herself, with a nice size soaking tub, large tube lights, MVB, and nighttime heaters. She is a great eater, always has been - Don't get between her and a green pea! :) Fortunately she has always been quite healthy too. (pix attached)

So, just wanted to say hello, and kinda needed to share my loss with people who understand. I knew rescue babies would be difficult, but after weeks of supportive care and begging her to eat and checking on her like a newborn..... I am glad she is at peace. But i still feel awful. :(

Thanks for reading.
GMac

Willow.jpg Stabler.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stabler has a very interesting shell pattern. Normally tortoises have more scutes than Stabler has. My favorites are the ones, like yours, with aberrant scute patterns.

GMAC

Washington DC
Stabler has a very interesting shell pattern. Normally tortoises have more scutes than Stabler has. My favorites are the ones, like yours, with aberrant scute patterns.
Yes, actually they both did. Apparently a large breeder took most of the babies, but these were "miscuted" and no one wanted them. (I guess they weren't sellable??? ) I think he is cute this way. Certainly he deserves a good life regardless! Benson's first large scute behind her head was one very large one where 2 should have been, looked like a cross between a domino and a greek tile. :)

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
They are both really cute! I am sorry for your loss. Now you have two others to give all that love too.