Hi! New here

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
We purchase him from an exotic pet store and drove 4 hours there to get him/her. They told me over the phone the hatchlings were 6 months. I immediately knew that wasn’t the truth when we say him. He had a beak and a place for the umbilical cord. I called them out on it right there. We got him March 18th. He was SO active at the pet store and since then he’s not as active and doesn’t eat a whole lot. My lighting and humidity maybe an issue. Also, they only fed him organic spring mix. I know now my lighting is wrong and have the proper lighting on its way. I turned off the UV spot light and have left the heat light on. The other light is supposed to be UV and heat in one. Any help or tips would be appreciated!

All three of those bulbs can be unsafe for tortoises in varying degrees.

1. Halogen bulbs run far too hot. So hot that it dries out the tortoise's carapace, causing them to possibly pyramid and or become inactive/tired.
2. The mercury vapor bulb, not only runs hot but also quality issue problems like not working properly i.e. not producing enough uv(B) after only a matter of months.
3. The compact florescent bulb can temporary to permanently tortoises.

You need:
1. Non-pet branded 65watt incandescent flood bulb. You can find them in large packs at any home depot or any other hardware shops.
2. A T5 lighting fixture and reptile rated uv(B) bulb. The only approved and safe bulb design to use is the long tubular ones. Get whatever percentage build that is slightly higher than what your tortoise requires.
3. You need night time heating for your Sulcata hatchling. And very possibly a larger enclosure. Purchase 1 or 2 reptile heat panels and affix them to the sides of your enclosure in order to keep the entire enclosure above 80F at all times. Pair your lighting and heating fixtures with digital timers and or temperature controllers.

moriah2971

MS
Thanks! I have the 65watt flood light up now and have a ceramic heat emitter for night time heat. I have a digital heat/humidity thermometer on the way and also the T5 light for UV on its way. I also put foil over the top try to trap in heat and humidity. I can already see condensation on the bottom side.

moriah2971

MS
Thanks! I have the 65watt flood light up now and have a ceramic heat emitter for night time heat. I have a digital heat/humidity thermometer on the way and also the T5 light for UV on its way. I also put foil over the top try to trap in heat and humidity. I can already see condensation on the bottom side.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

A non-pet branded incandescent flood bulb correct? Because the differences actually do matter which is why I'm following up on this.

Also stop using the dual fixture. The opening is far too shallow for light and heat to evenly project out. You want something like a 10.5 inch wide brooder lamp so that the heat spreads out farther. The same goes for lighting fixtures on ceramic heat emitters. A wider opening is always going to be better.

Don't worry too much about uv(B) for now. Just take your tortoise outside for 30mins to an hour a day, in a supervised and protected outdoor enclosure to soak up some sun a few of times a week until the T5 fixture arrives.

moriah2971

MS
A non-pet branded incandescent flood bulb correct? Because the differences actually do matter which is why I'm following up on this.

Also stop using the dual fixture. The opening is far too shallow for light and heat to evenly project out. You want something like a 10.5 inch wide brooder lamp so that the heat spreads out farther. The same goes for lighting fixtures on ceramic heat emitters. A wider opening is always going to be better.

Don't worry too much about uv(B) for now. Just take your tortoise outside for 30mins to an hour a day, in a supervised and protected outdoor enclosure to soak up some sun a few of times a week until the T5 fixture arrives.

moriah2971

MS
Yes. Not a pet brand. Just from a hardware store. The heat emitter is a smaller base so I’ll need to get a larger one. I don’t have the duel light fixture up anymore either. I can’t believe all the incorrect info out there. Wow! Thanks for checking.

Attachments

• B270BF24-90E9-49F4-82EC-9895C83F5F4C.jpeg
    B270BF24-90E9-49F4-82EC-9895C83F5F4C.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 14

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Yes. Not a pet brand. Just from a hardware store. The heat emitter is a smaller base so I’ll need to get a larger one. I don’t have the duel light fixture up anymore either. I can’t believe all the incorrect info out there. Wow! Thanks for checking.

It's easier for pet companies to stick with using outdated information if it means they don't need to make addition changes to their products. That and there just aren't many people too interested in funding new or ongoing scientific studies regarding to tortoises.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you! I’ll send pictures in a just a bit! I’m going to have my husband look over all this and then see what we can make work! Tom also said reptile plastic has enclosed tanks as well! Just got to figure out what we can do that works best. Never thought of foil! That’s a great idea. I totally had the wrong UV light! ?.
You started out better than me. Not being active might be temps are to cool. Looks like you're using a type of mulch for your substrate. Make sure you keep it damp to help keeping the humidity up. Your tort needs total darkness at night. To supply heat at night. Use a CHE(ceramic heat emitter). They screw in like a light bulb. Use one of your fixtures that has the dimmer dail inline with the power cord to adjust the heat. You need a digital thermometer/ humidastat placed low at the torts level. I here Lowe's has one that is priced well.A infrared temp gun will be the best tool you will use often. It will give you temps wherever you point it in the enclosure. Just don't point it at your torts eyes or yours. These pics are just to show you what I am suggesting. Look online for better prices and manufacturers.

Screenshot_20200819-072027_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200819-072135_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200819-072614_Google.jpg
I didn't read all the responses here before giving you this info. Hope I didn't confuse things.

Last edited:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Do you soak your tort in a small tub with lukewarm not hot water for 1/2hr daily?If not fill the tub to where the top and bottom shell meet. Dont let the water cool down. If you take him outside in this hot sun for 1/2 hr . It is best to soak after.

moriah2971

MS
Do you soak your tort in a small tub with lukewarm not hot water for 1/2hr daily?If not fill the tub to where the top and bottom shell meet. Dont let the water cool down. If you take him outside in this hot sun for 1/2 hr . It is best to soak after.
Yes! We soak time everyday in lukewarm water. He also gets sun probably 3-5 times a week. Question about the heat emitter... can the base go into a large “flood light” type fixture?