Hi! New here

moriah2971

Location (City and/or State)
MS
Hey! I am looking for the "frequently asked questions" and do not see it. Can someone guide me? Thanks

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what kind of tort do you have or looking for?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you haven't found this yet, it's the best place to start. It's up-to-date, reliable, and if you follow it, you won't go wrong with your care.

moriah2971

MS
If you haven't found this yet, it's the best place to start. It's up-to-date, reliable, and if you follow it, you won't go wrong with your care.

I replied to the link/care sheet. How do you even go about finding an enclosed tank/chamber? I’ve never even seen these anywhere?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If you have building skills you can build one. @Tom has some that he prefers
You can also use the biggest plastic tote box.
Show us pics of yours and maybe we can work with that.

moriah2971

MS
If you have building skills you can build one. @Tom has some that he prefers
You can also use the biggest plastic tote box.
Show us pics of yours and maybe we can work with that.
Ok thanks! It’s a glass 40 gallon aquarium with a screen top ??‍♀️ I don’t understand how you would mount lighting in a plastic tote?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
There are many ways to go on the closed chamber, some better than others, and different costs.

In no particular order, I'll try to list them all.

1) One of @Markw84 's custom built enclosures. Very easy to set up, is "smart", has all fixtures pre-installed. And looks great, too. Contact him for details. This is an old post so you see what they look like.

2) Build your own from scratch.

3) Use a grow tent. Here's a pic of a member's tent. They work well and are inexpensive. Look for "grow tent" on Amazon.20200817_201932.jpg20200601_124955.jpg

4) Use a grow tent that you put over your enclosure...least efficient method!
20200524_162330.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok thanks! It’s a glass 40 gallon aquarium with a screen top ??‍♀️ I don’t understand how you would mount lighting in a plastic tote?
What Karen sent you is excellent. If we could see your setup we could guide you to make that work for awhile. You can start by putting tinfoil on the top screen so heat and humidity stay in. Humidity should be 85% or better and heat should be no lower than 80° with a basking spot at 95° to 100°.This is very important for health and to stop pyramiding. We can tell you if you have the proper substrate to help keep humidity in and UVB lights. The coiled or looped UVB bulbs are bad for your torts eyes. Can possibly cause blindness. If you were guided by a pet store, chances are there are some things wrong. NOT YOUR FAULT, I fell into the same problem. Most pet stores do not know how to properly care for torts.
Until I found this forum. I had most things wrong. We are not here to judge you. We just want the best for your tort. A healthy tort will be beneficial to you. So you don't have to go thru a sick tort or even worse.
We are here to help.

Last edited:

moriah2971

MS
I really appreciate your help!! Thanks a ton!

There are many ways to go on the closed chamber, some better than others, and different costs.

In no particular order, I'll try to list them all.

1) One of @Markw84 's custom built enclosures. Very easy to set up, is "smart", has all fixtures pre-installed. And looks great, too. Contact him for details. This is an old post so you see what they look like.

2) Build your own from scratch.

3) Use a grow tent. Here's a pic of a member's tent. They work well and are inexpensive. Look for "grow tent" on Amazon.View attachment 303800View attachment 303801

4) Use a grow tent that you put over your enclosure...least efficient method!
View attachment 303802

moriah2971

MS
Thank you! I’ll send pictures in a just a bit! I’m going to have my husband look over all this and then see what we can make work! Tom also said reptile plastic has enclosed tanks as well! Just got to figure out what we can do that works best. Never thought of foil! That’s a great idea. I totally had the wrong UV light! ?.

What Karen sent you is excellent. If we could see your setup we could guide you to make that work for awhile. You can start by putting tinfoil on the top screen so heat and humidity stay in. Humidity should be 85% or better and heat should be no lower than 80° with a basking spot at 95° to 100°.This is very important for health and to stop pyramiding. We can tell you if you have the proper substrate to help keep humidity in and UVB lights. The coiled or looped UVB bulbs are bad for your torts eyes. Can possibly cause blindness. If you were guided by a pet store, chances are there are some things wrong. NOT YOUR FAULT, I fell into the same problem. Most pet stores do not know how to properly care for torts.
Until I found this forum. I had most things wrong. We are not here to judge you. We just want the best for your tort. A healthy tort will be beneficial to you. So you don't have to go thru a sick tort or even worse.
We are here to help.

moriah2971

MS
We are here to help.
We purchase him from an exotic pet store and drove 4 hours there to get him/her. They told me over the phone the hatchlings were 6 months. I immediately knew that wasn’t the truth when we say him. He had a beak and a place for the umbilical cord. I called them out on it right there. We got him March 18th. He was SO active at the pet store and since then he’s not as active and doesn’t eat a whole lot. My lighting and humidity maybe an issue. Also, they only fed him organic spring mix. I know now my lighting is wrong and have the proper lighting on its way. I turned off the UV spot light and have left the heat light on. The other light is supposed to be UV and heat in one. Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 99BE49EB-529A-4261-8D6D-A42289F3B063.jpeg
    99BE49EB-529A-4261-8D6D-A42289F3B063.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 9863E7FF-1CB0-4549-8BCA-34A199B773B2.jpeg
    9863E7FF-1CB0-4549-8BCA-34A199B773B2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 7057F20D-3544-48E3-8A2C-A8B92F76D133.jpeg
    7057F20D-3544-48E3-8A2C-A8B92F76D133.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
  • F202CE15-7D13-4CA1-984E-B4F551CB368F.jpeg
    F202CE15-7D13-4CA1-984E-B4F551CB368F.jpeg