Hi, new Horsefield tort owner

AlbusB

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi everyone, I've just brought my first tortoise and am so excited as it's been the dream for so long.
I love my little dude Albus already, but I only brought him home on Wednesday and I have brought him sick :( I have taken him to the vets and he has an upper respiratory infection and I'm having to inject him, nightmare!
He's very small and the shop said he was nine months but the vet isn't convinced. I have a table for him and I have now put him on some sand and soil (the pet shop gave me alfalfa pellets) And he seems happier now he's off of those but I have a few questions.

Is there a way of getting tortoises to eat? He is not really interested and I think it's because he's poorly but I m worried.
How often should he go to the loo. I haven't seen him wee or poo yet, but if he's not eating is that unusual.

I probably have more questions but can't think of anything right now. I've attached a pic of my little dude ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417816340.793039.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

He's not interested in eating right now because of the antibiotics. That usually puts them off their food.

In the mean time, set him up in a smaller, hospital tank and keep the overall temperature inside it at around 80-85F degrees. Soak him daily in strain carrots baby food (human baby food) mixed with warm water, about 50/50. Leave him in the mixture for at least a half hour. They absorb some of the nutrients in the mixture through the thin skin on their neck and around the cloaca.

He might be 9 months old. He's pretty small. Don't you have a certificate for him?

AlbusB

Uk
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

He's not interested in eating right now because of the antibiotics. That usually puts them off their food.

In the mean time, set him up in a smaller, hospital tank and keep the overall temperature inside it at around 80-85F degrees. Soak him daily in strain carrots baby food (human baby food) mixed with warm water, about 50/50. Leave him in the mixture for at least a half hour. They absorb some of the nutrients in the mixture through the thin skin on their neck and around the cloaca.

He might be 9 months old. He's pretty small. Don't you have a certificate for him?

I don't have a certificate, the shop said I didn't need one when I asked. I have complained to them as I only bought him Wednesday and he's been to the vets already! He does seem a lot better today though

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). A lot of pet stores here in the states will pay for the tort to go to the vet, usually the stores own vet. Have they not offered that to you? I would go in and talk to the manager and see if they will help you with the vet bills. After all, they didn't give you very good advice as for his care, pellets is the worse possible substrate.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Hope he gets well soon

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
welcome! I hope your little one is feeling better soon. You're on the right track – you're getting him treatment. In my experience, once the antibiotics are finished, their appetite usually comes back within a couple of days.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He looks like quite the little character!

I second the carrot baby food soaks, every day, until he eats.
Then, since he is young, continue to soak him daily or every other day for a few months. Very young tortoises can dehydrate easily.

AlbusB

Uk
Hello and Welcome:). A lot of pet stores here in the states will pay for the tort to go to the vet, usually the stores own vet. Have they not offered that to you? I would go in and talk to the manager and see if they will help you with the vet bills. After all, they didn't give you very good advice as for his care, pellets is the worse possible substrate.

I have spoke to them and they have said they will pay the fees but I'm waiting till I know he's better just in case... But he WILL get better.
Watching him on the pellets was awful he was struggling so much. Zooming around on this new stuff. Does keep trying to eat it though. But I'm taking that as a positive?..

el_ote

5 Year Member
cute little tort! hope he's still doing better.
great name btw!

AlbusB

Uk
This is the substrate I have in the table.. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417882869.744092.jpg
ATTACH]
It has got quite a lot of sand in it but i think it's a 50/50 soil sand. Worried it might be a bit dry?

Sorry to ask so many questions. What's the ideal temp for the cool and warm sides of the table? Can't stop worrying I'm gonna do something to make him worse..

Thought I'd read a lot before I got him but now so many questions!!

This is my tank setup at the moment... He has a bit of tomatoe and raspberry at the moment as the vet suggested it to try getting him to eat.. I know it's not something he should have often!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417882890.807161.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417882890.807161.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you injecting him with?

He needs to be kept warm day and night to help fight off infection. They still need it dark at night, so ceramic heating elements on thermostats work well for maintaining ambient temps day and night. I would not use that substrate, and yes it looks too dry. It will be difficult to maintain warm temps in a damp enclosure with an open top in the UK in winter. You might need to cover the top.

Here is how I like to house them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

AlbusB

Uk
Forgot to add that he has also gone for a wee today! Who knew that could be so exciting!!

AlbusB

Uk
What substrate would you recommend? It sounds like I have swapped pellets for something as bad super stressed tortoise owner over here! Spent ages looking for the right stuff today and then got it wrong!

Would it be better to spray this stuff down?

And I am injecting him with antibiotics every other day. I have also soaked him once a day but thinking of upping that. I'm most concerned about the not eating. I've inly had him since Wednesday so don't know what I am doing really. I hope I'm not inadvertently making him worse!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While he's on antibiotics, you need to keep him warmer than normal, and hydrated. Antibiotics are pretty hard on tortoise kidneys. I suggested a smaller hospital tank, temporarily, because it's easier to keep it an overall warm temperature. He'll get better quicker if you keep him warmer.

AlbusB

Uk
While he's on antibiotics, you need to keep him warmer than normal, and hydrated. Antibiotics are pretty hard on tortoise kidneys. I suggested a smaller hospital tank, temporarily, because it's easier to keep it an overall warm temperature. He'll get better quicker if you keep him warmer.

Sorry to be thick but what's the normal temp I should have, the warm end is about 94f and he seems to spend most of his time there