Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi CL:

There's just a little niggling itch in the back of my brain that is trying to tell me something, but I can't quite pull it up. I'm thinking that I've heard in the past someplace that Baytril might be toxic to star tortoises. I know that some leopards can't handle it, so maybe that's what did in your star. Baytril is the antibiotic normally used to tread RI in tortoises. I know it won't bring back your tortoise, but sometimes it helps to know why.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Hi Yvonne,

I have been on the same page as you... The vet did give him two shots; Baytril and vitamin (I have to check the bill to find out if it was vitamin A). And I have read that Baytril can cause an alerigic reaction in some tortoises. I can be very cynical about all types of health care, also any type of money making endeavor. I was charged $100.00 for the antibiotics to treat him. People are really money hungry in today's economy. Again it is the guilt. All that I can do is do the best that I can. This vet may have known that my little guy was going to pass; however, she padded the bill because I was there and she knew that I wouldn't second guess her. She may of overdosed him with antibiotics for all I know. Or the stress of being stuck twice was too much for him to handle. Maybe I should have let him pass quietly at home. I don't know.

I buried him today... Very sad.

Thanks for everything! Claudia

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, don't go through that woulda'...shoulda'...coulda' stuff. It does no good. And don't blame the vet. Most vets truly try to help and wouldn't do something that would knowingly harm your tortoise. But, some vets, not being real familiar with tortoises, may not know that certain types of tortoise can't handle certain types of drugs. No one to blame. Just let it go and move on. But next time YOU will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.