Hi, new to tortoise!

Tim84

Hi!

As per my other thread, we've gained a (at least) 45 year old tortoise from my grandad.

We live in the UK and the way she's (or he's) been raised so far is very different to everything I'm now reading!

First steps are identify the breed, change the diet and upgrade the enclosure. Diet I intend to change slowly as she's lived 45 years off her current one!

Any general pointers or good threads to read much appreciated.

Tim

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tim welcome to the TFO from AZ . Isn't it nice that people have progressed in raising torts over 45 yrs . That's Great ! I only hope we keep trying to get it better yet . Have a great tort day !

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome! Looks like your tortoise was identified as a greek. Here is an up to date care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

I personally do not have a greek, but I don't believe they should have any fruit. Here is another good link about what foods your tortoise can and cannot eat (read the care sheet first, though, to get a general idea of what your tortoise species needs!):

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

Tim84

Thanks guys.

The care sheet is certainly an eye-opener, thank you. She's done well for 45 years but it seems there are certainly some changes we should try to make in diet and upkeep. It's a bit intimidating as I don't want to change anything too much due to her lasting so long to date!

Tim84

Good plan JB, I don't intend to change anything too quickly as she's done well so far!

Tim84

Understood; will keep the same diet for now but add new items for him (not her it turns out) to try as he goes so we can build up a pattern of what he will and won't eat.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Remember, that just because he's 45 years old, doesn't mean that he's happy or healthy, just that he's still alive.
A bad diet may not kill a tortoise, much the same as it wouldn't a person, but they would be better off on a good diet.
I eat cheese,drink coffee and smoke cigarettes all day and am still here at 49.
But am I healthy? No.

Tim84

Yes, I did read that somewhere else on here too (not your eating and drinking habits!) and it's a good point. Need to take things slowly though all the same I think as I don't want to shock him too much! New enclosure and new location are probably a bit overwhelming already.

It's also cold and wet here at the moment too but he's lived in the garden 24/7 so far so I don't want to start bringing him in as the temperature extremes may be too much for him to adjust to.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! ! !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, I did read that somewhere else on here too (not your eating and drinking habits!) and it's a good point. Need to take things slowly though all the same I think as I don't want to shock him too much! New enclosure and new location are probably a bit overwhelming already.

It's also cold and wet here at the moment too but he's lived in the garden 24/7 so far so I don't want to start bringing him in as the temperature extremes may be too much for him to adjust to.
Quite right too, a step at a time.
Stress is also bed for torts and change causes stress for them, especially after a routine of that amount of years.
Details of my cheese obsession are also quite easy to find here.
You seem to be very sensible and thoughtful about this, so i'm sure it will be fine.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Instead of bringing him in, maybe you can you make him (or provide him with) a shelter so he can choose to go in or out himself.

Tim84

He does have a house full of hay and shredded paper in his pen; where he has spent 98% of his time in the last two days as it's pretty cold at the moment. Hooked him out this morning and he hardly even woke up, I'm concerned it's too cold but he's never come inside before other than to hibernate in the garage when with my grandparents.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He won't be active if he's too cold.
He also won't be able to digest his food properly.
Has it got warmer now?
If not you will have to artificially heat him.
Remember hay and shredded paper don't insulate a tortoise properly as he can't make his own body heat for the insulation to keep in.
It won't warm him up.