Hi, New Tort Fan here.

Michael Campbell

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Greetings. My name is Mike. Just joined, thought it was about time as I have been lurking for awhile gathering info on getting a Tortoise.
I am 32 and live in Ireland. I have been studying Herpetology as a hobby since I was 11 and along with my father have kept everything from snakes and frogs, anoles & water dragons over the years. { you could say we are almost a Zoo Family, hehe}.
Due to college, work and what not, the hobby had to take a back seat for awhile. Now that I am in a better position to be able to care for some more little scales again {and my Son being old enough to understand about animals} I wanted to do something I always wanted to do but never had the chance before. I wanted to get a Tortoise.

Having spent the last 13 or 14 months educating myself on as much as possible about the little ones and deciding on a type {due to where I live and the space we have}. The Ideal has come to be a Hermanns. After searching both online and offline to find a good ethical and local source, it seems I shall be getting specifically Testudo Hermanni hermanni according to the store. All Going to plan I shall be collecting the new addition to the family on Saturday.

After taking some advice from websites and the forums, I built a nice Tort Table {cause bloody hell I made a far bigger one for way cheaper than you can buy them in this country} and have it set up the best I can for the new little arrival. I was told it was Almost a year old already. :)
By the way, Thank You all so much for posting all this great information on the website and the Forum here.

So the TLDR bit is: Hi, soon to be new Tort Owner, From Ireland, Thank you for all the Info and anyone have any advice! ;)
I'm sure i'll annoy everyone with tons of pictures once all has settled.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Mike and welcome - this really is the best place for up to date info and tips that can save you a fortune on equipment.
I expect you have already found the Hermann's caresheet while lurking, which will give you advice re temps diet substrate etc.
You may find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful too.
If you haven't already spotted the many posts about it here you will already know to avoid any coil or loop type bulbs which cause eye damage and to use terracotta plant saucers for water instead of the expensive and often unsafe dishes pet shops sell.
So read, search and ask as many questions as you like someone will always be around for help and support.

Michael Campbell

Ireland
Hi Mike and welcome - this really is the best place for up to date info and tips that can save you a fortune on equipment.
I expect you have already found the Hermann's caresheet while lurking, which will give you advice re temps diet substrate etc.
You may find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful too.
If you haven't already spotted the many posts about it here you will already know to avoid any coil or loop type bulbs which cause eye damage and to use terracotta plant saucers for water instead of the expensive and often unsafe dishes pet shops sell.
So read, search and ask as many questions as you like someone will always be around for help and support.
Thanks for the info! always useful to know, only spotted the thing on the bulbs now. thanks for letting me know.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for the info! always useful to know, only spotted the thing on the bulbs now. thanks for letting me know.
You're welcome!
I use an Arcadia mini d3 mercury vapour bulb (MVB) which give heat, light and uvb in one bulb.
£39 in Pets at Home or via Amazon. For night I use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) which just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep. I run this through a thermostat which switches it on and off as necessary (£22 and £35 from the Range also got my wide dome hoods there £25 each). Avoid red lights too as torts see colour so can get confused.

starsong96

Virginia
Welcome, I'm new too, but its easy to find your way around, especially if you've been lurking for a while ;) can't wait to see the little guy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Mike!

We have a very good care sheet, written by a most knowledgeable Hermanni person, and you'll find it pinned at the top of our Hermanns section.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Michael Campbell

Ireland

Michael Campbell

Ireland
Arrived home with the new little one Today. Different one that I thought. Same species and all just a little younger. His Cites cert says he was registered in August.
Still thinking of a name. He seemed very grumpy about the trip but after a bit of a soak when we got home he is loving his new enclosure and munching quite a bit.
Here is a quick snap I took while retooling the table for him being tiny.Tortoise Day 1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Arrived home with the new little one Today. Different one that I thought. Same species and all just a little younger. His Cites cert says he was registered in August.
Still thinking of a name. He seemed very grumpy about the trip but after a bit of a soak when we got home he is loving his new enclosure and munching quite a bit.
Here is a quick snap I took while retooling the table for him being tiny.View attachment 157741
Nice looking tort!
Adam is a good name.:)