Hi, New Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
Sulcata Tortoise arrived. He was freezing cold so I quickly put him under a heat lamp. Hope hes gonna be ok. Hes in a 20 gallon tank with powersun heat/uvb bulb, alfalfa pellet substrate and a shallow water dish. I have to go buy him some food. This is my first tortoise and any advice from experienced tortoise keepers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Congrats on the new arrival! Is this your first tortoise? My first advise is to change out the substrate. Those pellets can be hard to walk on, dusty, and once they get damp, they mold easily. Do you also have a hide for him? What temps is the lamp getting it down on tortoise level?

yarok

5 Year Member
I have kept other reptiles so I had a heat lamp and UVB/heat bulb. The thermometer is stuck to the old tank though and I need to buy new ones. I am going to buy him food today so ill pick up everything else I need. Also he is eating the alfalfa substrate right now. Is that bad?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi yarok:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Also, may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Eating the alfalfa pellets isn't bad. They're digestible. It probably just means he's pretty darned hungry.

Since this is your first tortoise, I'd like you to read this article written by one of our moderators:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1nmvZyw3W

yarok

5 Year Member
What kind of substrate do you recommend? Is it bad that he is eating the alfalafa pellets? I am going to the pet shop today to buy him a hide and some thermometers. I also wanted to buy a flat piece of granite or some kind of rock to place under his basking spot. If there is anything else you think I should get please let me know. Do they do better in pairs? possible tank mates?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I myself like using the blocks of coir and then a small percentage of play sand for my enclosures. Makes a nice, easy to care for substrate they can dig in and holds moisture well. I would get a temp gun, as those stick on thermometers can be inaccurate. :( Also how old/well used is the UVb bulb?

Eating the substrate is okay, but alfalfa is not really recommended in big amounts.

yarok

5 Year Member
Is there a substrate that I can purchase at the pet shop. I am unfamiliar with the kind that you mentioned. the UVB bulb is probably around 6 months old and I was told that it could be replaced every 12 months. He is extremely active, keeps walking around the entire tank. Can any other reptiles be in the same tank with him? or is he better off by himself?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yarok:

I like orchid bark or cypress mulch. You can buy orchid bark at a plant nursery. Cypress mulch can be found at home improvement stores in the plant section. Both of these are good because you can keep them moist and they don't turn sour or moldy.

Its always best to keep one particular specie of tortoise by itself or with others of the same species. If you mix species you run the risk of making them sick or even dead.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The bricks of coir are sold at the pet store. Often called Bed-A-Beast. They come in these nice compact, easy to carry little bricks, which you expand out in warm water. Play sand is from some place like Home Depot/Menards.

No, it's really not a good idea in my mind for a tortoise to share his inside enclosure. It can be done, but takes work and more room then your currently working with.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Try getting a substrate that holds humidity like cypress mulch or coco fiber,
as for food, get spring mix, cactus, watercress, dark leafy greens, from the store for now.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
did you give him a good warm soaking when he arrived? Id do that and get some food for the poor guy. what do you have outside? weeds grass? salad in the fridge?
and yes.. better alone.. they do just fine and its not lonely.

yarok

5 Year Member
I was wondering about how often I could handle my tortoise? I just got him today and I don't want to stress him out too much.

Oh and people keep mentioning soaking but I am not clear on what that means. How do I soak my tortoise? How much of him should be under water? and for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.