Hi, newbie here

Linzi

Location (City and/or State)
Barnsley, uk
Hi everyone,
My names Linzi, I live in south yorkshire Uk.
I've just become a new tortoise owner, I have 2 horsefield tortoise, 1 male, 1 female, from reading a few posts I know most of you won't agree to me keeping 2 together, I went to our local pet shop and these 2 had always been together so I didn't want to split them up, They're 5 years old, any hints and tips would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• DSC_0716.JPG
    DSC_0716.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Linzi

Barnsley, uk
Thanks, they don't seam to be eating and i'm not sure if They're still adjusting or if something is wrong, I've tried them with kale, different types of leaves and flowers that are safe, I can't remember all names yet but I have the photo identifier app and tortoise food app that i'm following.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! Be sure to give these a read.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Sadly, they definitely need to be separated. Tortoises, especially Russians, are solitary and extremely territorial animals that do not have the ability to “love” each other, no matter how long they’ve been together. In fact, they’re displaying clear signs of aggression in the picture.

While it may look cute, sitting face to face, “cuddling”, “following”, sitting on food, climbing on each other, sleeping in the same hide, and just being together in general are all the tortoises trying to push, stress, and chase the other out of its territory. They are competitors, not companions, and will do much better separate.

Be sure to ask any questions you have :)

Linzi

Barnsley, uk
Welcome! Be sure to give these a read.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Sadly, they definitely need to be separated. Tortoises, especially Russians, are solitary and extremely territorial animals that do not have the ability to “love” each other, no matter how long they’ve been together. In fact, they’re displaying clear signs of aggression in the picture.

While it may look cute, sitting face to face, “cuddling”, “following”, sitting on food, climbing on each other, sleeping in the same hide, and just being together in general are all the tortoises trying to push, stress, and chase the other out of its territory. They are competitors, not companions, and will do much better separate.

Be sure to ask any questions you have :)
Oh no I thought they were being affectionate, neither of them are eating and the female, who was very active first couple of days is now just hiding away and sleeping, They're both burrowed away together now.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh no I thought they were being affectionate, neither of them are eating and the female, who was very active first couple of days is now just hiding away and sleeping, They're both burrowed away together now.

They’re likely just getting used to the new territory, but separating them would probably help. It’s a lot harder to get used to a new location when you have to compete for it at the same time. Any chance you can just put in a divider?

Linzi

Barnsley, uk
They’re likely just getting used to the new territory, but separating them would probably help. It’s a lot harder to get used to a new location when you have to compete for it at the same time. Any chance you can just put in a divider?
I've fetched my girl outside for an hour and she's cheered up lots, I will put a divider up for now and will have to get another table.